Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Paint

Bottom Paint

I will be painting the bottom next month need opinions from yall on a paint called bluewater
    copper pro 67 Has anyone out there used this paint is it good does it lasr multi seasons ,etc
    The price is about 2/3 of interlux, pettit.which means I can put on 3 or 4 coats to maybe gain extra time between haulouts
    \Thanks
    'THERAPY'
    1991 45C

Re: Bottom Paint

We used the Copper Pro SCX 67 on our YF about six months ago, Several other folks in Pt Canaveral recomended it. We applied two coats overall with three at water line. So far Ok.
    Kent Britting
    Makin' Memories 1970 58YF

Don't forgett, you get what you pay for. You are ahead of the game to go with good or better paint.

If you like black look at Ameron ABC3 marine coating available at any PPG Paint distributor. I painted bottom 10/03 hauled 11/06 ( for cost and valuation survey) no growth on bottom and only a few barnacle on props and struts. I light sanded, then painted one coat and relauched. Expected in water life is 5 years. It is used on oil rig parts that they don't want marine growth on and U.S. Navy Submarines. It has an EPA rating so it is legal and cost was $ 85.00/ gallon in Houston, TX

We used ABC also, diver checked yesterday and said paint looks good. One year on it from FT Myers, FL to Surf City, NC and Charleston, SC.
    The yard mixed blue and black to get a shade of blue.
    Make sure it is compatible with what is on it now, be sure that you do good prep. I have a few places on the waterline that show a gray primer the yard used. I think they may have only used one coat in that area.
    Kerry Alexander
    Diamond Sun
    !969 50MY

Is Ameron an ablative paint? I am very interested to try this stuff. I have ablative paint right now and would need to apply similar over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff44
    If you like black look at Ameron ABC3 marine coating
    I looked and the web site showed red and blue as well -- for $135 / gal !!!!! (Black was 135 too)

8. Re: Bottom Paint

If you can't find it let me know and I will tell you where to get it. Two years ago it was only $38 a gallon. I am sure part of the price escalation is due to the high price of copper. Since scrap price is above $3.oo per pound now. You can also check for military surplus sales and may find a good deal. But even at $135 a gallon it is a deal, since it lasts "FIVE" years instead of one like the other $135 a gallon ripoff paints.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff44
    If you like black look at Ameron ABC3 marine coating available at any PPG Paint distributor. I painted bottom 10/03 hauled 11/06 ( for cost and valuation survey) no growth on bottom and only a few barnacle on props and struts. I light sanded, then painted one coat and relauched. Expected in water life is 5 years. It is used on oil rig parts that they don't want marine growth on and U.S. Navy Submarines. It has an EPA rating so it is legal and cost was $ 85.00/ gallon in Houston, TX
    Where in Houston are they located Thanks
    'THERAPY'
    1991 45C

Smile Re: Bottom Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady
    If you can't find it let me know and I will tell you where to get it. Two years ago it was only $38 a gallon. I am sure part of the price escalation is due to the high price of copper. Since scrap price is above $3.oo per pound now. You can also check for military surplus sales and may find a good deal. But even at $135 a gallon it is a deal, since it lasts "FIVE" years instead of one like the other $135 a gallon ripoff paints.
    Thanks Chris have you used this paint yourself at around 100.00 bucks a gallon for three to five years life it is a bargain but thats why I ask for youalls vast knowledge
    'THERAPY'
    1991 45C