Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Water Hose Freebie

My hose bras end blew apart a few weeks ago, I replaced it with the same hose from west Marine. 50' Gilmour Marine & Recreation Hose ($30-$40). When I got the new hose to the boat, I read the label and it said 'lifetime guarantee' so I wrote their tech support and they said 'send the ends in and we'll replace it'. I did and I just got a brand new hose in the mail today.. FOC - free of charge.

So, just heads up to anyone needing a new water line... Rick

Re: Water Hose Freebie

In a world where we boaters pay too much for stuff to begin with, it's a nice feeling to get something "marine" for free, isn't it? I popped some fenders on a rough day and took those dirty, nasty fenders into West Marine a few weeks ago and walked out two brand new ones - FREE. I was feeling pretty good that day until I got back to the boat and found my ice maker "steaming" (it died that morning...what a tragedy). I guess when you get something, you give something too. I doubt I'm going to get anything on the 27 year old icemaker!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Hey, what gives, rswirtz. You dog. I had two of those Gilmore pieces of junk that I just threw out last year. They both got weak spots and had aneurysms that started to pee small streams. They were only 2 years old and I decided I just wouldn't buy anymore of their cheap hoses. If I knew I could get free replacements, I might have had a different opinion of them. Oh well, good for you at least. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-09-2007 at 08:20 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

With all due respect, gentlemen, anyone who buys "marine" garden hose should expect to get, well, hosed. I just buy a new "garden variety" hose every spring, and it always lasts the season. Costs me about $10 - $20. If I buy the best available at the local hardware store, Seymour Lumber, it is a Gilmour, and runs about $20 - 30. I cannot see spending $50 just because it says "Marine" on the label.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I thought the "marine" hoses were different in two ways: The inside is lined with something that will not allow that "rubber hose" taste to penetrate into the water and second that the exterior is made of a material that will not mark up a boat while dragging it on deck. Are these old wives (skippers) tales??

That is true - at least of the "marine" water hoses I buy at our marina store. I don't know if it's true of all "marine" hoses. I found that if I try to find the same grade of hose at home/garden stores - hose that doesn't let the rubber/vinyl taste into the water - they cost the same as the "marine" hose at the marna store. They are sometimes referred to as "drinking water" hoses.

Obviously if the issue with water taste is not important, than the "marine" hose may not be worth considering. However, I have had the same two "marine" hoses for the past 4 years ( I used to have 3 but someone "borrowed" one...) and they are still in excellent condition so perhaps the initial cost is offset by lasting a lot longer. I don't know the brand but they are white with a fairly wide blue tracer.