Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: detroit diesel 8.2 liter

Okay, that's what I thought. I've not seen too many 8.2's but I was pretty sure that that was a clean sheet of paper mistake. To the best of my knowledge the 6.2 / 6.5 was also designed as a diesel, although it borrows heavily from gas engine design. GM claimed it was DD engineered, but it reeks of Chevrolet. I've been unlucky enough to own four of these (three in one truck alone) As usual, GM sorted out most of the problems by the time they went out of production. Many people confuse it with the 5.7 liter Olds which was a gas conversion, and the Toro-Flow lesson re-learned.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Since there seems to be some good knowledge on these, are all of the issues marine related or were they common with the pre-duramax GM trucks. Been looking at used diesel trucks and have come across the older GM diesels and was wondering if they are worth a look? (late 1990's) or stay with the Ford 7.3 powerstroke.

Thanks,

The 6.2 / 6.5 engine, not related to the Duramax, had their share of problems. By about '93 they had most of them worked out on the NA's but there was a run of turbos that had major block cracking problems too. I think it was approx '97 when they started putting the oil cooling jets in. The electronic fuel injection systems from '94 on up had some issues too. Again, mostly resolved by the end of production. Overall I would stick with the Ford. The 7.3 Powerstroke had a few minor issues, but was generally a better powerplant. Make sure you use the cooling system treatment to protect from cavitation issues.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Hi All, the 8.2 is a popular industrial engine and the military uses it also, have just puled one out of an ottaw 30 yard truck and replaced it with a 5.9 cummings.....Cory