Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trojan-Hatteras??

this came up on an other forum... did Hatteras build any trojan before Carver bought and discontinued Trojan ?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1655583
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Trojan-Hatteras??

I don't think so. They would have been the international series and I don't think so. At least no one mentioned it during the years I belonged to the Trojan boat group.

BILL

I think Bertram did !!!! I think the broker made a mistake Wow now that sometnig new
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Yeah, that was Bertram. Check the Pascoe site. He talks about it on one of his boat reviews

isn't it ironic that Carver bought trojan and killed it? i mean... trojans were pretty good looking and well built... you'd think Carver woudl have learned somethign !!!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I was also a previous Trojan owner. I had a 1985 13 Meter Express (which is now for sale again by the current owner through Brewer's in Mystic, CT). The boat was rock solid, however some of the systems left something to be desired. The pistons on my Boat Leveler trim tabs had to be replaced twice. That's four pistons (2 for each tab). The tabs were too small to keep the bow down at a small enough angle so that I could easily see over the bow. The hardtop that the previous owner was just a little to low for my 6' height when I needed to see over the bow when coming on plane.

The ride was nice and solid, but 6-71TIs with 450 HP just wasn't enough power to move that 16'3" beam through the water. It was a 20 knot boat, but that was at 2000 RPMs and I had just had one of them rebuilt and the previous owner had done a good job of having the other one rebuilt about 200 hours prior. The boat was completely cored and at the time, it looked good for an 18 year old boat.

I think I'd take a Bertram over a Trojan, but those Amish in Lancaster, PA really know how to make a boat. The International Series are good boats for new people getting into boating because of the vast size of their beams and the low cost to get into a boat because of low resale value. They just have to keep them forever because unless you find someone willing to trade like I did, you'll never get out of them.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    this came up on an other forum... did Hatteras build any trojan before Carver bought and discontinued Trojan ?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1655583
    Yes - we built the Trojan 44' for a couple of years in the High Point plant somewhere around the late 80's or early 90's - can't remember exactly. That was when both Hatteras and Carver were owned by Genmar.

Hatteras also built a few Wellcraft Portifinos back around that time as well.
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

just pulled the listing. Where does the 1/2 tower and outriggers go?

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Yes - we built the Trojan 44' for a couple of years in the High Point.
    Wait, was Pascoe wrong or did Trojan outsource production to several manufacturers?

see link:
    http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatrevie...n_14_meter.htm
    Last edited by Passages; 01-30-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Add link

The one Pascoe tested must have been built by Hatteras because it had blisters.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI