Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

54 ED Advice Needed

I am trying to decide between a 54 ED and a 53 ED and am up to date on all the various differences between the two. My concern is that the 54 ED seems to be a rarity as compared to the 53ED and that leads me to believe there were problems with the 54 ED or they simply were not popular and were therefore discontinued. Can anyone offer some advice on why to get a 53ED over a 54ED. Any advice would be appreciated

Re: 54 ED Advice Needed

The 53ED was built on the infamous 15'10" hull that Hatteras produced for over 20 years. The boat was very similar to the popular Classic 53 and therefore it gets alot of crossover buyers. The 54MY and the 54ED were less popular but not necessarily any less desirable. The 54 has much more room than the 53 due to its wider beam. But, the 53 has the beautiful afromosia interior, while the 54's have lighter woods and laminates. I think it is a matter of personal preference. You will burn more fuel with the 54, but it is also a newer boat. The 53ED has the galley down, but the 54ED has galley up. Which do you prefer?

I love the afromosia interior and I would not want the light laminates, but that is my personal preference. If I was going to upsize from the 53ED, I would look at a 56MY or a 61MY, but not the 54. This is not because the 54 was not a well built boat, but because I like the classic Hatteras interior from the 1960's through mid 80's. I also prefer the nice curves of the the older Hatts to the "boxy" look of the 54 and other Hatts of that era.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: 54 ED Advice Needed

Thanks Sky - the advice was very relevant and important coming from an existing 53ED owner. I certainly favour the older 53ED style but was a bit worried that Hatteras invented the beamier 54Ed for a reason.

Bill