Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

refit of 1972 38c

I noticed several 38c that have been repowered and refit. Would like to know aprox cost

Re: refit of 1972 38c

Paint and exterior cosmetics- $40-60,000
    New engines and transmissions $60-100,000
    Electrical system and generator-$25-35,000
    Interior cabinetry and finish-$15-30,000

Knowing you have just spent a quarter of a million dollars to re do a classic Hatteras priceless

Re: refit of 1972 38c

This is why you want to buy the best condition boat you can find. It will cost a bit more but nowhere near the cost of doing the refit yourself.

4. Re: refit of 1972 38c

It is a real toss up between finding a pristine one and doing a refit. The refit usually will cost a lot more, but you can zero time everything. Even a pristine example will have very old systems. A fresh water boat offers better piece of mind on older systems. My boat had reached the end of service life on all systems, almost every through hull was leaking. Not bad for a 30 year old boat. But it was time to restore things. I doubt that old man Slane really envisioned that these boats would have the durability that they have demonstrated. the only glaring shortfall I can say they missed mark on would be the aluminum window frames. But it is a testament to using the right materials for the job. How many of us have used or were forced to use something of lesser quality to only have it fail within a couple of years, where the original lasts decades?
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com