Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Storing Bait Board

Sorry to ask an easy one but for those who fish on board and who use a cutting board or bait board, where do you store the board when not in use. No matter how well it is cleaned, the board always ends up stinking and I was curious where folks keep the board when not in use.

Re: Storing Bait Board

Drop the board in the cooler with 5% bleach and water for 254 hours and it should not smell if they were washed right. I Switced to a plain flat cutting board because there is no seams or corners to have stuff hide in.

Ok I cant type. the tech gurus will tell you that the bleach would evaporate from the water in less than 254 hours. I meant to type 24 hours.

I've got a starboard board with rodholder mount that I use most often for fish cleaning, along with a small starboard flat I glued down next to my bait sink that I use for the baits -- I do clean each very carefully, but I've never had an issue with smell. The fish board gets stored in the center lazzarette and the bait board/sink has a clamshell lid over it, and neither is a problem when I open up.
    -- Paul

I too have the starboard bait board with the rod holder mount. I plan on storing it in the fish box on the aft deck unless someone had a more creative place to store it. I guess I will also store the curly hose I need to buy as a fresh water wash down hose for the bait board while cutting bait. Sure wish there was an easier and fancier way to store these things.

I got the starboard rod holder deal too and after cleaning I leave it out in the holder for a couple of days and it airs out good....If your putting away wet or damp you may have a problem...even a thumb size sushi will dry out and turn to jerky and not smell, if left in the sun long enough
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

I leave mine out covering the bait sink
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I want to leave mine out and covered with fish so the neighbor will leave and a slip opens up for the bird. Then I will have help pissing off the SR guys and the blowboaters.

Think it could work?

9. Re: Storing Bait Board

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb
    I want to leave mine out and covered with fish so the neighbor will leave and a slip opens up for the bird. Then I will have help pissing off the SR guys and the blowboaters.

Think it could work?

LOL........

I prefer using the regular cutting board material, as used in restaraunts and in your homes.

Starboard does not clean up as well, IMO

I have a piece of the cutting board material that I take with me to Kerr Lake and use it for cleaning those big ole' blue cats up there. Been using it for 5 years now.

Wash it with soap and water, no smell, looks brand new( except for a few cut lines). My board is 2' X 4'

Thats the same idea I had. I bought a large piece of the material and cut it up. Its easy to cut and machine. Its made for easy cleanup. It's also about 1/10 the price of starboard.