Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: A long way from our boat...

Or....

You could just free lease it to me. The boat remains yours. You pay annual registration & insurance. I pay for Winter storage, summer slips, maintenance and all upkeep. I'll even give you use for 2 weeks/ year. (How about mid November )

In 5 years - I hand you back the keys...

Mike, I'd have to agree with those that have suggested at least part-time chartering the boat to maintain some regular usage and defray costs of continuing to hold her. That all hinges on finding yourself a captain you're comfortable with. And, you probably also relocate the boat to somewhere more charter-friendly. You'd certainly have your homework cut out for you, but it could really be worth it. Good luck either way.
    -- Paul

Flying option.....
    get into flying small planes..... small 4 seaters are selling around 30-50k and It would come in handy in Mexico city for running tourists around and make money to pay for it ...I would think plane storage and boat dockage would be cheaper there and you can put the boat around the Gulf coast and move it around from there to hot spots. then you'd only be an hour from the boat addvertize in local hotels that you fly people around ??? I know they say once you do it all the time it becomes work but I sure do think it would be fun for a while... Mario and Chris and some others fly ask them , see if there is a demand for it ?? good luck Carl
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Mike, I don't think you have a lot of choices. If it was me and you know it was for 5 years not shorter. Those type of jobs seem to run beyond there scope as stated. I would sell her. Here is why. You have brought this boat up to an outstanding condition. At this point in time it would require a large price tag to buy . It should be an easy sell because of her condition . If you let it set in moth balls for 5 years. It will or could require extensive repair. Refrig, A/Cs, pumps, seals, heads, motors, engines, paint, break-ins, vandals, weather. You name it. Just does not do well just sitting on the hard. If you lease the boat or charter. No one is going to take to caring for her like you did because it does not belong to them. Also there is the normal ware and tare. Are they going to have the same skills as you to repair it? You will pay for the work that you would normally do. IT-SUCKS. The money you save and do save it, for storage or dockage, repair and just trying to keep her alive that far away. Could be spent on a new well kept boat when the hitch is through. Who knows, should your health (God forbid) or travel plans change in 5 years. Mine did over night. And this change for you was almost an overnighter it seemed like. Put it on the blocks, let her go. While you can receive a fair price for all the work you have done. It's hard to give up. But in the long run, I think you would make out better and feel better. You would be worrying and wondering all the time. Just for piece of mind let her go.

BILL

Mike,
    I'm really sorry to hear that you can't seem to work this out. This is a painful story to hear. My initial response is NO. Don't let her go. I know how hard it is to find a good 53. I went through the same thing and it isn't going to be any easier in 5 years. In fact, it will probably be even harder to find one. Also, the market is soft now and you will probably take a substantial loss even though you have done so much to get the boat in tip-top shape.

I know of a 58 Bertram MY that has been in a heated building in Michigan for a couple of years. It looks just as nice as the day it went in there. Sure, it may have some seals that shrink and need some repair next time someone uses it, but that is much less work than leaving it in a salt air environment in or out of the water. And it is certainly less of a problem than putting it in charter service. If you haven't seen a boat that has been on the Great Lakes for its entire life, you don't really know how much easier it is on them.

So, my idea is to fog the engines, take out the batteries and put her on blocks in building far away from the ocean. That way you and the boat will be in the same situation. Both sitting in the dark, miles away from ocean, longing for the day you can cruise once again.

You obviously know the problems that occur when the boat is not run on a regular basis. But will you have anymore work to do in five years than you would have done over those same five years anyway had you been living near the boat? I don't know. It may be less if properly stored away from the damaging sun and salt. I guess it all depends on how much you are attached to the that boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

6. Re: A long way from our boat...

Greetings Mike,

I have a different perspective on the relationship of boat use to distance from the boat than most do. I believe there is often an inverse relationship to the distance from your boat and the amount of use you get from it. I live in No VA full time, but have the boat in Hatteras, NC - a six hour drive between the two. Granted this is on US interstates most of the way and not Mx roadways, but still six hours. I probably use my boat more than most owners over the course of the season, and even off season. Just got back from a three day work fest repainting the entire deck and cockpit (I just love this 75 degree jan weather).

I know many people that have the boat sitting out back of the house at the private dock and it never goes anywhere! Most of the serious goers in my marina come from at least 3 hours away. The real problem is your maintenance tends to slip and you end up with trips where you go just to do catch up work and you do have to someone at the marina to give her the eye every now and then, but they will do that for you if you ask.

I think this could be a real opportunity for you to explore a unique boating opportunity if you just figure out a way to get it close enough to use periodically, even if the wife can't make it with you every time you go. It certainly can't cost 35k to run her down or close to MX on her bottom - and what a great trip that could be! The airplane option is also actually a good one to use. I do fly down to Hatt sometimes and that takes about 90 mns. Get up early, fly down, play with the boat and be home in time for a late dinner. The MX flight rules might be different, but I know US pilots from southwest areas often fly to baja without issues so it is something to think about.

All I really know is that before I bought the Akyla I was between boats for just over a year and really didnt get out on the water much at all. That was probably the longest year ever... I certainly would not want to do five.

7. Re: A long way from our boat...

Move the boat to MX, live on it and when you miss the wife, take a trip to the city for the weekend. You might even be able to run day trip charters to offset expenses. Or you can let Passages keep it for you. LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

It will make it twice as hard to visit the boat when the first mate is not with you. If you can find heated inside storage, you stand a chance of keeping her nice. 5 years is not long, if that is all the longer. If you leave it out it will be trash. If you leave it for someone else to use. . Find a nice indoor storage away from the salt and put it up if you want to keep it. We have heated indoor storage at my dock at a reasonable rate. Our storage is private so there are few strangers. Over all it would be a whole lot cheaper and safer to store it than to try to maintain it in the water. I'm sure you can find good inexpensive storage inside. You won't use the boat if you must travel a long distance all the time to visit it. Expesially if they are short visits. Set back and do the math. I'm just glad I don't have to decide your issue. Its no fun. Good luck.

BILL

What would I do??
    I flew for a living for 40 years, I own a very nice small airplane. I would not count on frequent commuting with a small plane especially if you are not an experienced pilot. The weather delays can make it a long trip. Aviation gas costs upwards of $4.00 per gallon. When I fly from Detroit to Miami and back, I spend $750 to $800 just for gas. I love to fly and I do make that trip occasionally. Our boat is in Florida.

If you must keep the boat, Sky's idea is absolutely the best. Take a two week cruise to Detroit, I will fix you up with a good yard, keep the boat inside and winter heated. A loose, clear sheet of Visqueen over the entire boat will keep the dust out.

I don't think the charter idea is good. Getting the boat up to the required standards, yearly liferaft certification etc. would cost more than you think and the boat would get beat up.

The best way is to lease it to someone who will respect what you have. That person would have to care for her as you would or better. The good deal for that person is he gets a lovely boat to use for 5 years with no investment. He would pay all operating and storage expenses. My son and I are co-owners of our 36C, "Unity", he lives across the street from the marina, and we both get to use and care for the boat. My wife and I live aboard when we are in FL. He gets to use it the rest of the time. Our arrangement works very well.

If I could not find that person, I absolutely would sell the boat. Who knows what the next 5 years would bring to your life or the world. Hell, fuel could be $25.00 per gallon, everything would be half Ethanol, we might all have to respond to the call to prayers 5 times a day.

Mike,

we have something in common. We live 4 hours from our boat. We certainly didn't plan it this way but about a year after we bought it and emplimented extensive upgrades we had to move. We love (Nobody You Know) and have no plans any time soon to sell.

I kind of agree with Dave. If you start budgeting and making plans now the journey south would be a most delightful one. Do it in increments. Fly out of major ports along the way. Research more affordable marinas, low cost flights (start with credit card points from a major arline that flys out of Mex. City). Florida ain't so expensive in the warmer months (IMHO). But planning is the key. And I don't think you will have to search very hard to find some qualified crew (ahhem). Another consideration would be possible more affordable docking in Mexico. Though I have never been there I would not be surprised if boating is a little cheaper to include detailing, divers, etc. (hell maybe diesel is cheaper too). This combined would offset the long cruising expenses. And you will see a lot of (Forum) freinds along the way!

The airplane thing? I think Maynard is right. Unless you can afford a Mooney or Bonanza that can get above precipitation you will be loosing a lot of time on the ground waiting for more favorable weather.

Like the others I hope you work this out in a way that enables you to keep the boat.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."