Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Converting to Propane Fuel???

I heard that there is now the technology to convert fuel injected gasoline engines or diesels to run on propane rather than gasoline.

The idea first bothered me - to sleep on pressurized gas tanks - but at the same time I am guessing that the technology has be good enough to detect and prevent those failures. The largest benefit is that the cost of powering up will be much less, and that some gov. programs might actually foot part of the conversion bill.

Does anyone know any boats that run on propane?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

2. Re: Converting to Propane Fuel???

Energy density and thus range is going to be a major problem.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

3. Converting to Propane Fuel???

"...The largest benefit is that the cost of powering up will be much less..."

What does that mean? And why would it be so.

The only claim I have ever heard for propane powered vehciles is that they burn cleaner.

Re: Converting to Propane Fuel???

Lots less power per gallon of tank space so its not viable if you need range. Also I dont know how I would feel about a pressurized tank rusting beneath the decks.

The lack of a propane infrastructure is probably the biggest obstacle. i.e. where are you going to fill it up?

Sounds like a typical government cart and horse program.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali
    I heard that there is now the technology to convert fuel injected gasoline engines or diesels to run on propane rather than gasoline.

The idea first bothered me - to sleep on pressurized gas tanks - but at the same time I am guessing that the technology has be good enough to detect and prevent those failures. The largest benefit is that the cost of powering up will be much less, and that some gov. programs might actually foot part of the conversion bill.

Does anyone know any boats that run on propane?
    Not sure what you mean by the cost of powering up being much less....

I've seen diesels that run on propane, and gas engines that run on propane. Other than running cleaner, I think the wear and tear is going to be a wash, unless the reduction in HP produced adds a bit of longevity.

I wonder what the weight comparisons on the boat would be between fuel and the tanks necessary to contain it. If it's significanly heavier as a "system", it increases the challenge to any benefits.

I dunno....I just can't see myself getting past the idea of having that much compressed gas on board.......
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

7. Re: Converting to Propane Fuel???

They DO run cleaner, with the big advantage being in oil quality and thus enhanced drain intervals. Not a big deal for a boat but can be for applications like city buses.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Many cities are running buses on Natural gas or propane. The next big advance will be hydrogen fuel cells for transportation.

That won't be for a while though as the technology is costly.

I'm currently working on a project installing a 200kw HFC unit at one of our manufacturing sites. Installed cost will be over a million bucks however the State has agreed to subsidize 75% of it.

Regarding boats, I think it will be a while before compressed gas becomes practical.

Interesting thought....you would need not only the storage bottles/tanks, but convert the engines to run on propane, which means changing the carburetors or EFI systems.

The biggest difficulty would be that you would need to store a lot of propane, which means big heavy tanks. A bus company could probably tell you how to get those. Another problem is where do you fill the tanks up? A commercial propane truck may or may not be willing to meet you at the dock and fill the boat. Your marina may have other ideas about it as well- like instantly voiding your slip agreement and telling you to find other quarters.

Traveling may be a problem. It's okay, if you have a propane supplier, to depend on them at your home base, but what do you do about refueling when you go away from your home port?

Finally- I have seen one domestic propane explosion near the home of folks I know in Chesapeake, VA- the people who owned the house were in the propane business and had propane cars, etc. There was a leak in their system and something ignited it. One person was in the house at the time and she died. I am also aware of several other accidents where leaking propane facilities caused explosions, with fatalities. On a boat, with an explosion of that magnitude, even if you survived it, there might not be much to hang on to, while you waited for rescue.

Honestly? I think there are better ways to skin this cat, but don't let my pessimism discourage you from thinking outside the box. I think, though, that you could do better than propane. Like for example, diesels, and WVO.

My cousin has 10 or so vans that run off propane. The drivers say they do not have the power that the gas vans do.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son