Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Windlass/bow roller setup

I have just installed a windlass and am concerned about the length from it to the roller. There is room for the roller to project further out, it is held by a stainless steel arm. I mounted the windlass as far back as possible in the pupit because the pulpit is about five inches higher than the deck and I wanted a straight pull from the roller plus this located the winch in the center of the storage/anchor rode hold. The distance is only about 4 feet and I would like to mount a chain stop between the windlass and the roller. So this leaves only about 3 ft or so. Does this seem about right for a 46 ft SF? Or should I be extending the roller, I have about another foot available in the pulpit?

Re: Windlass/bow roller setup

Two suggestions.....if you can, post photos of this; it will help to have a look at it and see what the relationships are of the various bits. Second, look in Earl Hinz' book, "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring", I think it's called. There isn't much about A&M he doesn't cover, and there are sections on how to design bow tackle etc. Hope this helps.

Incidentally, he's a very good writer; he actually makes it fun to read.

3. Windlass/bow roller setup

I made my own pulpit for my 48 YF and it seems the dimensions seem similar to your description. Everything depends on the size and shape anchor you'll use.

I'm not sure exactly what your concern may be, but you'll find Danforth type anchors with long flukes usually need more clearance from the bow than do plow type anchors (Like Deepset, for example). The other issue is if you anchor in waves, swinging of any anchor may warrant further clearance still to prevent hull dings. And different anchors have different length stocks (where the shackle attaches) and different distances from stock end to fluke end. If I recall, Fortress has a short measurement here and may require more pulpit extension over the bow. I did not buy one for that reason because it did not appear it would fit my pulpit well.

Also, the angle your chain/rope makes relative to the roller as it is hauled (roughly parallel to your deck) is immaterial. But you'll find if you use chain, that a salt water washdown to rinse chain as it is hauled is really helpful as is a "U" channel between roller and windlass to collect mud drippings and keep chain from scratching pulpit surfaces.

Re: Windlass/bow roller setup

Ours is a factory winch mount that we changed to one with a chain gypsy. I had just enough room to mount a chain stopper between the winch and the chute. It works well. I don't have a picture but you can look on YW for any later 36C and if someone has a picture of the foredeck, you will get a good idea of the relationships. The later 40 or is it 41 DC has the same pulpit and hull also.