Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need some real numbers

In speaking with my gas boat marina operator today, an interesting question arose... what is the actual (travelift) weight on the 3sr58 w/FB and arch and a 7 foot cockpit extension.
    The displacement weight is 46 net and the Gross is documented as 57 grt. I want to make sure his machine can lift me. When I had the boat lifted in NOLA last august, the operator hadnt figured out the weight since the new machine that was Italian built measured in Kg and didnt know how to read it
    I guess at $10 / foot you get what you pay for. IDEAS? GUESSES?? ws

Re: need some real numbers

Bill, my boat was just under 80,000lbs in the slings with 2/3 fuel and full water. I'd bet you are every bit of that. I wouldn't use smaller than a 50 ton lift.

Hey, she looks good out of the water! How does that port stabe look??

Bill,

Use the 50 ton at least the first time. I'll bet the lift operator can tell you the real weight of your boat. If they're like the other Travel Lifts we've been on, there is a weight sensor and readout on the lift for each end. The two strap 35 ton lifts have two weight readings and you just add them together to get the total weight as lifted. It's there to protect the lift since one strap may be taking much more load than the other. On that type of rig, the lift max is really 17.5 tons per strap, not 35 tons total.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt
    Bill, my boat was just under 80,000lbs in the slings with 2/3 fuel and full water. I'd bet you are every bit of that. I wouldn't use smaller than a 50 ton lift.

Hey, she looks good out of the water! How does that port stabe look??

That was a before pic. The port stabe instead of vertical is bent out about 5 degrees. My pal skinned the side of the dauphin island channel at the causeway and the sub spun abruptly 45 degrees to the port at 2/3 throttle.
    The lift here is a 60 ton with a 50% safety factor. (90T).Its 23 feet wide too. I should be o.k. and he is HEAVILY INSURED ! You mite get a new blade out of the deal! Better check your VETUS catalogue for those thrusters !! ws

My Roamer weighs in at only 14000 loaded with me on it.At 700HP thats about 20lbs per HP. With Hatt Trick its 980HP and 80000 or 92 lbs/hp. Weird math no??
    What a tub! ws

6. need some real numbers

My Hatteras catelogue from the 1970's shows:
    58ft triple cabin: dry weight(appx) 53,000 lbs
    58 YF 49,000 lbs

Those sure seem VERY dry!

I know every one is different, PLUS 950 Gallons of fuel @ 7X950=6650--flybridge and arch=3000 cockpit=3000 salon enclosure=2000 3sr58 on a 60ton travelift--
    PRICELESS !! ws

Had our 58 YF pulled two weeks ago, 1970 with two gensets and 3/4 fuel 200 gal water she weighed 69,000 lbs
    Kent Britting
    Makin' Memories 1970 58YF

35 tons seems like a good number for me...Thanks ws

You're probably right Bill, 35T sounds about right for your boat. I am not sure why my 58YF weighs in at just under 40T with 2/3 fuel and full water. I do have two gensets but the second is a small, 360lb Mini-8kw. I have a pipewelders half-tower, but that is not heavy at all. I have a dinghy, but it is under 1k lbs. I have added 2cm granite countertops to the galley and all three heads which adds about 600lbs (900lbs for 3cm) since the last haulout.

All this weight and apparently from discussions on this forum I have one of the few 58YF (or 53MY) that will still get on a plane whenever I ask. I do need to use full throttles (~2300rpm) and full tabs to get the bow down, but then I can throttle back to 1900rpm or so and cruise on plane. Just lucky I guess!
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 12-18-2006 at 09:48 AM.