Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Washer/Dryer 53 Classic

Has anyone changed the washer/dryer in a 53 Classsic? If so what make and model did you use? The opening is 70 3/4" Tall and the shortest stack unit I can find is is 71 3/4 high.
    wayne@sunbeltnashville.com

Re: Washer/Dryer 53 Classic

It's been done many times. Do a search here for washer or washing and several should come up. Some replace with an all-in-one, but I don't believe that they are as efficient as a regular dual-stack setup. I like the compact units from Whirlpool (Maytag) as they are only 67" tall if I remember correctly. 220v dryer, external vent. Stainless drums and plastic shell. Seems MADE for the marine environment!

GOOD LUCK!

the problem is not just the space, it's getting it in and out. i replaced the old one a few months ago and had to dismantle the washer to get it out... the alternative being taking the door frame and all the trim in the stairs apart. no thanks.

I replaced it with a Splendid, VENTED (vented makes a big difference, mosxt complains come from the unvernted units.).

i can't understand why anyone would even bother trying to get a stackable in there... the splendid works great. put the clothes in, 3 hours later it's done. nothing to transfer... i love it. it's big enough as long as do the laundry a little more frequently. i wash/dry a set of queen size sheets and pillow cases, or 3 full size towels per load...

and as a bonus, you recover a lot of storage space above the washer...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I disagree with Pascal here. I have had nothing but trouble with the Spledide units and they were the vented ones. We have owned 3 now. I would stick with the stackables. I have also heard of some people finding individual apt sized units that will stack in there. I don't know if they still make that size but it is worth checking. Don't go by the specs unless you have to. Go see the unit for yourself if possible. That way you can measure and look to see if feet can be removed, ect to make it fit.

I have heard of some people removing these units out of the fwd stateroom by taking off the door trim and others going out the front hatch. If you have to you can cut it up with the sawzall to get it out. Don't do that to the new one though .
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

5. Re: Washer/Dryer 53 Classic

I have replaced a unit for a customer before, it was the all in one stack unit.

Just for your info, this was on a larger hatt, but the trim and panel I believe are the same. Remove the exterior trim and then more screws will show. They go through the exterior panel ( ply ) and into a cleat.

the entire panel is removable and should not be glued. ( this washer/dryer closet was built to be dismantled for replacing the units )

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    the problem is not just the space, it's getting it in and out. i replaced the old one a few months ago and had to dismantle the washer to get it out... the alternative being taking the door frame and all the trim in the stairs apart. no thanks.

I replaced it with a Splendid, VENTED (vented makes a big difference, mosxt complains come from the unvernted units.).

i can't understand why anyone would even bother trying to get a stackable in there... the splendid works great. put the clothes in, 3 hours later it's done. nothing to transfer... i love it. it's big enough as long as do the laundry a little more frequently. i wash/dry a set of queen size sheets and pillow cases, or 3 full size towels per load...

and as a bonus, you recover a lot of storage space above the washer...
    WOW Pascal...Please don't tell my wife that you wash the bedding. I keep telling her washing clothes and especially bedding is women's work. I will see you about the 6th of January.

Thanks for all the help. The shortest one out there seems to be 71 3/4.
    If anyone knows a mfg making a smaller one please let me know.
    Thanks

well, i've only had the Splendid for a few months now, but i've had combos before and they were no more headaches than others. the nice thing about the splendid is that it fits thru the stairs and door without removing anything.

to remove the stackable, the dryer should come right out but the washer is too wide. i tried thru the hatch, no luck. had to remove the case and fold it then haul out the tub/motor and the bottom separately
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by messickwayne
    Thanks for all the help. The shortest one out there seems to be 71 3/4.
    If anyone knows a mfg making a smaller one please let me know.
    Thanks
    I have a Kenmore model 88752 stacked pair in my 1978 53MY. It fits fine and works great. They still sell that same model number today (here). I just measured it at 71.0 inches, even though the spec says 71 3/4. Ask about whether it has feet on it. They are frequently adjustable or removable. On a boat, you're not going to be worried abut leveling it with those screw shaft feet and might just take them off. I can't check mine for feet without taking the front panel off the enclosure.

Doug Shuman

I bet that GE will go in even if the specs show a height of 71 3/4". That's only one inch too tall. You can surely gain that by removing the feet and/or removing the top cover. You don't need that top metal plate up there anyway. It's all enclosed and no one will know if you remove it. I would find one to go look at and then take some measurements.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI