Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LJohnson Guest

Underwater Lights

We saw a large Viking at Montauk few weeks ago with a set of bright underwater lights illuminating the stern. It looked sharp and the kids loved the fish it attracted. Has anyone put these on a Hatt? If so, where are they sold, how much do they cost, and most importantly - do they leak?

H Ware Guest

underwater lights

Lights work well, do not leak, fit nice on Hatteras, you can buy from Underwter lights USA or Express Lighting. There about $500.00 To $700.00 each Plus Install.

Firstwatch Guest

Underwater Lights

There a few different manufacturers and choices for lighting, but hands down the best lights I've seen are the ones I ended up with. The company is Deep Sea Lights, located in San Diego and their background is lighting for underwater submersibles, so they build their stuff like a tank.

There are a number of different choices in lighting, as well as voltage. You can install 12 V systems thru 120V.

On the 120V side, the cheaper underwater light set-ups range from modified pool light bulbs and housings to high end HID bulbs, mounted in Titanium housings with Sapphire crystals for lenses.

I went with the Deep Sea set-up, which was the high end HID bulbs and the Titanium housings and couldn't be more pleased. While any underwater lighting at night is nice, you can definitely see the difference in results.

Cost wise, they ran about $2200 a piece, but at least I didn't do an install and wish I had something later.... the whole family has been more than pleased with the results.

You can checkout their lights at www.deepsea.com or www.deepsee.com

There are a few shots of my boat in the pic section. I don't have an affiliation, only lots of satisfaction from a good product.

If you call ask for Erik or John and tell them I said hi.

Best regards, Bill on Play-N Hookey

34Hatt Guest

Under water lights

Another company is Barnegat Light these are not built in which I like 4 screws that can't sink your boat and any one can install and you don't see them if you have a platform. If you don't have a platform I can see some people not like having them protrude of the transom. They are 12v 50 watts and work well for a lot less $$$. Web set is www.BarnegatLt.com . Well its just another choice for you all.
    Dan

PascalG Guest

underwater lights

they are very popular nowadays, the other night at anchor, 2 or 3 nearby boats had them... looks "cool" but I really don't like the idea of drilling holes in the hull for non critical items... If I could find lights which could be mounted on the swim platform brackets, I'd be interested...

pascal
    70 53my

34Hatt Guest

underwater light

Pascal
    The link to Barnegat light has one for under the swim platform.

tomrealest Guest

underwater lights

I looked at all of them at the Ft Lauderdale show this past week. My opinion is that Deep Sea Lights had by far the best product. However they are EXPENSIVE. I thought the Barnegat light definitely has it's place in the market because of the price issue. I'm putting the Deep Sea Lights on my LONG term want list.

edgewalker Guest

Re: underwater lights

yeah but if you mounted them to your swim platform ,above the waterline ,it wouldn't have the same effect,because it would be reflected light.It won"t penetrate the water column as effectively as the other underwater lights do and you won"t get the desired effect.It would be like shining a flashlight,or spotlight into the water.

Passages Guest

AC vs DC

I agree, they look nice. Given a choice, I would think AC would be preferable to DC in this application.

34Hatt Guest

Re: AC vs DC

I agree underwater is better than above but with those lights you have a choice. You can still mount them under water with 6 small screws or on a bracket of the platform support or above water also. Since everyone has a different opinion these where posted since they are very versatile.
    Dan