Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Filter

Air Filter

I am going to order my new filters and I want to make sure that the ones I am ordering have enough air flow capicaty. Any comments as to if these are good enough to hold up, they have no mesh in them and I am also concered about supporting them. (no brackets) I am also going to have to drill a hole in the filter and install a fitting to hook up my Racor CCV.

http://shop.knfilters.com/KNShop/Pro...px?pid=RD-1460

Re: Air Filter

Chris,
    I used model RE0870 tapered round filters, since that is what MikeP used on his 8v71's. Look at the specs, but I think they should be okay for the 8v92's as well. A friend of mine with a 52cmy has the same engines as you do and he is installing CCV's as well. We looked up the specs and I think he decided to go with the same filters. Maybe he will see this post and correct me if I am wrong.

I have had no problem with support thus far. Just make sure the inlet hose from the CCV is supported so it doesn't pull on the filter.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks Sky, I just looked up the number on K&N site and these are 13.00 less expensive than the ones I was looking at. Just walked in the door from coming back from the boat and that datamarine is a "dart" model. got another question for the members, brought the anchor home to work on it. the PO painted it and it needs to be repainted, question is what do I use. Its a large danforth style than I plan to wire brush off the loose paint and some rust than maybe prime with some type of rustoleum and finish coat with??

I take my anchors in about once a decade and get them hot dip galvanized. All the rust is blasted away and then back into the zinc they go. Come out looking like new, if you like zinc. The trouble with paint is that usage causes scrapes and scratches. Not noticable with zinc because it seems to heal itself. This only works with steel Danforths, not with aluminum look-alikes.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I think Hatteras painted the original Danforths of the 80's vintage boats with the same paint as the boat, Imron. My anchor looks like it anyway. Since it is just an anchor and will get scraped up anyway, you could brush it on. I think you will need a good 2-part paint like Imrom, though, if you want decent adhesion.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

To really get paint to stick to zinc you need a special primer, and thats marginal at best. A fresh hot dip job looks like a new anchor that means business. I guess I really like that flat silver look. The 80 pounder on my 58' was iron and painted and looked terrible; I lowered it to the hard and it was frozen solid. If it landed upside down on the bottom, it never would grab anything.
    I have several US NAVY anchors that were from wwII and they still look like new-- even the flute points arent rusty. Something to be said about MIL-SPEC coatings! Even our painted tugboats (ex-navy) have about 1/8"+ of primer and paint EVERYWHERE. RED LEAD primer seems to do the trick.Dont paint it--
    ZINC IT !! ws