Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hatteras abuse

Re: Hatteras abuse

I don't know...Listening to the audio and watching the footage made me hope iit was not a Hat owner. The situation was poorly handled considering the expertise that should have been behind the wheel of that boat...and not to mention the horsepower that it probably had to allow it to save it from ripping the bridge off!

Just kidding guys...it was actually a video of me doing the first sea trial of one of the boats I was considering buying. However, I have decided not to proceed with the deal...I don't want to buy a damaged boat.

Are you all sure it is not a hatt??? Sure looked like it to me but it could be a CC501.

I don't think that bridge moved nary an inch.
    JW

Thought it was a video of Randy and Freebird on first voyage.

Between that clip and Randy's maiden voyage story I am now afraid to use my boat for anything but sitting at the dock. And I'm even nervous about that.

I am now afraid to use my boat for anything but sitting at the dock. And I'm even nervous about that.
    My Father's old Chris that both of my brother owned for a while was hit Twice years apart at the Dock. One was a 68' Steel Ferry the other 42' Scarab both times same Marina Davis Park on Fire Island
    Scott the Ferry was the Quaipen and the Scarab was Speedy Eddy Oh yeah the ferry hit it hard enough to send it two slips down snapping one pole clean off Wood boat no hull damage
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I remember both the offending boats. Is the quiapen still running? It was the only ferry in the area with hydrofoils as I remember.

I thought the audio was at least as interesting as the video....I can't believe they went through TWICE.

There was an incident not too dissimilar a while back around here where a sailboat mast got caught in a two-part bascule span coming down- he tried to get through and the bridge tender didn't realize he was there. Lots of yelling and shouting on all sides.

I'd like to have radar, but I can just see that happening to me. Ouch.

So what is this story about Freebird's maden voyage?? I have not heard that one yet but it sounds interesting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsong
    So what is this story about Freebird's maden voyage?? I have not heard that one yet but it sounds interesting!!
    Anytime you buy a 58' boat, no matter what kind of a steal of a deal, you get it surveyed before you cruise. A good survey will call your attention pertinant items in dire need of attention before you loose engines, systems, etc. and are in need of assistance. A good survey by a reputable and accredited surveyor will ALWAYS save you money.

Capt'n Bill

“It comes down to this... Hatteras builds a boat that laughs at Neptune and has exceeded all expectations of the industry and owners.”