Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Granite countertops

I just met with a carpenter yesterday about a redo on the aft head counter top. We plan to make a plywood template for the granite, complete with cut outs. I plan to take that template to the guy who did a granite kitchen counter/island/wet bar/butler's pantry in my home. With what I've spent with this guy in the past, to not do my boat better not be an option! My plan is to use one of those sinks that looks like a bowl and sits on top of the counter, with a faucet mounted off to the side. I'll post some pics along the way.

For those worrying about granite cracking, corian cracks too and the corian is usually fitted much tighter, tollerating much less hull flex before binding/cracking. Every granite installer used to working on boats knows to simply leave a small gap around the edges to fill with caulk or place some trim molding over and no more worries about cracking. I looked hard at corian due to lightweight, strength and durability but I could not justify spending the same amount of money that granite would cost and have no "wow" factor that all granite gives. IMHO, the best looking corian does not look as good as the worst looking granite. There's just something about natural stone. Just look in all the megayachts and milti-million dollar homes these days. No corian, just granite. Go with the thinner granite to save weight and leave a small gap around the edges. Step back and ADMIRE THE BEAUTY!

I had a Corian counter installed in the head- used a white SS sink and fixture from Scandvik. I had no trouble finding an installer who would work in a boat- they even took away the old sink and counter top for me. The counter tops are very securely installed by Hatteras- it's some work to get it out. I don't have photos, though, and she's not 'ere for me to take them...keep looking around, you'll find a small installer who can do it. A lot of folks run when they hear the word "boat" but I didn't think it was all that big a deal...

I think when she comes back this spring I'm going to tackle the galley counter, which is Formica or something like that, plus the head floor and aft deck with Flexiteek etc. RE granite, I would think that if you had a good support it would not be a problem.

Mike, your work looks great, as always. You're retired- you ought to start doing this on other people's boats.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I'm going to go with granite and put a plywood base under it for support.

Jim, you have a PM.

FWIW, I know of a 47' Chris-Craft Commander, which is as heavy as a Hatt, that went to granite and ceramic tiles in a head. He subsequently took on a permanent list to that side. So balance can be an issue.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1
    FWIW, I know of a 47' Chris-Craft Commander, which is as heavy as a Hatt, that went to granite and ceramic tiles in a head. He subsequently took on a permanent list to that side. So balance can be an issue.
    Thats a good point. I have a list to stbd, and since my head is to port, it may help balance out that list! But definitely something to consider when I redo my galley countertop!

My boat tends to have a port list. I'm looking forward to that piece of granite in the aft head (on stbd) to even her out.

I updated the pic at my previous post on this thread to show a more general view of the galley, including some of the flooring (trim is not on the genny room hatch).

contact your Nida-Core dealer locally and inquire about their partnership with granite. You can now have granite counters lighter than formica/plywood.

Jim, thanks for the compliment! Much as I (usually) enjoy working on the boat whatever the project, I don't have the time to do it for hire. Heck, my one boat is a full time job! Add a British bike and I'm seriously time-constrained.