Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Battery Terminals

But how do I re-charge them if the charger keeps tripping?

Let them equalize on their own for a bit, if they were that low. Let the electrolyte fishies swim upstream into the fresh water and find a place to drop their eggs. You can fill a new dry battery with acid and it will show 12+ volts but have no ampacity. After adding water to our 125VDC banks it is neccesary to eqaulize then float charge the bank.
    If you try to charge a dry (low) battery, the plates can also warp and cause a short. Invest in a battery load tester. ws

Thanks for the input. That's just what I was thinking of doing- bringing my glass of Jack Daniels down there, and just watching them and maybe even talking to them for a while. Might also be able to "trick" the external charger by trying the "deep cycle" setting.......

What would happen if I set the charger on the 100 amp setting for a brief period?

I would try "bumping" the charger on and off a few times. Not to the trip point, but enough to put a little back in before you go to full charge. do you have a trickle charger? ws

Yes, I can try a trickle charger. I'll also try the bumping method. Thanks to all for the help.

Try letting them set for a while with no draw on them. Use a trickle charger as low as it goes. Adding that much water the electrolyte needs to equalize and charge. Providing you didn't short out a plate with the big charge first. Under those conditions of high charge you cause particles to drop of the plates and lay on the bottom of the chamber shorting it out. I sometimes turn smaller wet batteries upside down and pound on there bottom with a nylon mallet. Then drain the battery into a plastic pan. When I feel I have shaken all the particles out. I invert the battery and refill the battery with the same acid mix less the particles. Topping off with water. Sometimes this works sometimes not. I do not suggest you do it with the 8Ds.

BILL

I keep waiting for the KY jelly to appear again, 1001 uses or 1002.
    JW

The KY is great for sliding an 8D into the box outboard of the engines! AND its water soluble. FWIW-- try the new mint flavor!! ws