Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Cost of Hull Painting

In the Perfection, I used snow white on cabin sides and Mattahorn on the decks. Will use Mattahorn on the hull too. I'm gonna recoat the forward deck also (over the nonskid coat), as the nonskid powder doesn't allow the paint to flow well. This however was the only problem that we encountered.
    Last edited by Bertramp; 11-17-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul45c
    Carl, I think it's about 100% odds yours was painted, too. All Hatts were. At least that's what I've been told.
    Yup all Hats were painted except the 32' express and convertable. They wanted to hold the price down on those little gems.

Note that there are TWO Interlux Hatteras off-whites. You need to get the right one to match the oem color based on the model year of the boat. I can't remember what model year Hatt changed the color but one of the two interlux paints is an exact match for the Imron on the boat. Our boat was repaingted in the mid 90s with oem Imron. I've done some minor touch up work and you can't see the transition between the 10 year old Imron and the new interlux.

Another thing to note is that if your boat was repainted, it could have been repainted with either of the oem colors, depending on what the owner wanted.

Mike, which Interlux paint are you using? How is it wearing? In the Brightside single part Poly, the color match for my 77 is #3208. Don't remember what the other Hatteras off white number is. Have also only done very small artist brush touch ups, but seems to be a perfect color match with nice gloss and lays out with no brush strokes. I need to do a few larger areas such as the brow over the cabin front windows and the cabin door exterior, and am wondering if I should use Imron for those. If so I'll have to reseach prior threads I remember seeing, as I have no experience applying that product. Any thoughts? Regards, Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Paul45c
    Cable's one of the few yards left around here that will spray. Until I got to see the local guys' brushwork around here, I was pretty much decided to send the boat to them. They deal with a lot of megayachts being where they are, and I know the work is good.
    Paul,
    I never seriously considered having Cable do the work. The paint on our boat is generally in good shape. There are a few areas, however, which require some attention and need to be repainted. The PO had the boat repainted in 2000 with the Awlgrip, but in certain areas the prep work was not good and the paint is flaking, chipping and splitting, especially on the salon aft doors, and areas on the flybridge. That $75,000 quote came in the midst of Cable providing a price estimate to prep and repaint those damaged areas. Considering our experience with Cable over the 3 summer months they worked on our boat, I would NEVER use them again for anything.
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

Bertramp, when you recoat the forward deck, be sure to degloss the paint. I did what you are talking about a bunch of years back. The first trip out after that was to Block. The decks were wet when we pulled in and the Admiral went forward to set up the lines. I thought I was going to lose her!

The glossy paint film fills in the voids in between the "sand" and it is definitely "slippery when wet"! Deglossing and thinning a little solves this.

Happy T-Day!

K

I am having my entire boat painted this winter. I am removing all the hardware, window frames, hardtop and pipework. I am also having a teak sole installed in the cockpit. I will replace anything that needs replacing, like the bow rail, hatches, glass, and misc. hardware. I am going all white with no blue lines. I think this will give her a modern look. I am using J&J marine fabrication in somerset MA. They just completed a new state of the art building for spraying large boats. They use awlgrip paint. Tempature and a dust free emviroment makes for a better job. They are letting me participate in removing the hardware, I will let the experts do the prepwork. I have Seen alot of J&J's work and they considered the one of the best around theses parts. I will post pictures soon. wayne

I am refitting a 1965 41' convertible. Complete rebuild of the dd8v53's and a lot of paint. We pulled the window frames and cleaned and re felted them. Pulled the engines and genset and cleaned up and reinsulated the engine room. Epoxied engine room, and it sparkles. Paint from the boot stripe all the way up with awlgrip cost right at 20k. This also included refitting the cockpit with water tight hatches and and reglassing the cockpit as well. This was a spray job that looks fantastic. All hardware was removed except thru hulls and pipe half tower. Also changed the look of the air intakes. What is your opinion? Ready to drop in the engines very soon and start on the inside of the house.
    Attached Images

9. Re: Cost of Hull Painting

Sweeeeeet!
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Mtadamek, Wow!! I hope mine comes out as nice as yours. Did you find any rot in the cockpit core ? I know I have some that will have to be cut out and re-cored. Did the window frames come off hard ? Looks like you have all new glass along with those freshly paint frames. Cant wait to start on mine..