Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Re: Cost of Hull Painting

Quote Originally Posted by Paul45c
    Cable's one of the few yards left around here that will spray. Until I got to see the local guys' brushwork around here, I was pretty much decided to send the boat to them. They deal with a lot of megayachts being where they are, and I know the work is good.
    Paul,
    I never seriously considered having Cable do the work. The paint on our boat is generally in good shape. There are a few areas, however, which require some attention and need to be repainted. The PO had the boat repainted in 2000 with the Awlgrip, but in certain areas the prep work was not good and the paint is flaking, chipping and splitting, especially on the salon aft doors, and areas on the flybridge. That $75,000 quote came in the midst of Cable providing a price estimate to prep and repaint those damaged areas. Considering our experience with Cable over the 3 summer months they worked on our boat, I would NEVER use them again for anything.
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

Bertramp, when you recoat the forward deck, be sure to degloss the paint. I did what you are talking about a bunch of years back. The first trip out after that was to Block. The decks were wet when we pulled in and the Admiral went forward to set up the lines. I thought I was going to lose her!

The glossy paint film fills in the voids in between the "sand" and it is definitely "slippery when wet"! Deglossing and thinning a little solves this.

Happy T-Day!

K

I did rubrail up this summer with the boat in the water (hence the low engine hours this year) ... I had done most of the prep last fall. I used Interlux Perfection and painted with a foam roller (actually lots and lots of foam rollers) ... I think the result is pretty good. The hull is pretty well sanded and will get the same treatment in early spring before launch.
    As for you folks in the Long Island, NY area I can recommend the guy that I helped (he knew what he was doing way better than I did) and he is reasonable, dependable and does a good job.
    Last edited by Bertramp; 11-16-2006 at 09:19 AM.

What color Perfection did you use? I tried the "cream " which I was told by the Interlux people was a match for Hatteras off white. It is not . I had used the Interthane plus in Hat off white and butted the new Perfection to it on the deck. The Interthane is very close to 1981 Hat OW ,the Perfection is way too yellow.......Pat

In the Perfection, I used snow white on cabin sides and Mattahorn on the decks. Will use Mattahorn on the hull too. I'm gonna recoat the forward deck also (over the nonskid coat), as the nonskid powder doesn't allow the paint to flow well. This however was the only problem that we encountered.
    Last edited by Bertramp; 11-17-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Note that there are TWO Interlux Hatteras off-whites. You need to get the right one to match the oem color based on the model year of the boat. I can't remember what model year Hatt changed the color but one of the two interlux paints is an exact match for the Imron on the boat. Our boat was repaingted in the mid 90s with oem Imron. I've done some minor touch up work and you can't see the transition between the 10 year old Imron and the new interlux.

Another thing to note is that if your boat was repainted, it could have been repainted with either of the oem colors, depending on what the owner wanted.

Mike, which Interlux paint are you using? How is it wearing? In the Brightside single part Poly, the color match for my 77 is #3208. Don't remember what the other Hatteras off white number is. Have also only done very small artist brush touch ups, but seems to be a perfect color match with nice gloss and lays out with no brush strokes. I need to do a few larger areas such as the brow over the cabin front windows and the cabin door exterior, and am wondering if I should use Imron for those. If so I'll have to reseach prior threads I remember seeing, as I have no experience applying that product. Any thoughts? Regards, Bob K