Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Cost of Hull Painting

We pulled at Crackerboys this summer, good folks but they raised prices substantially just after we left.

Wow $2000x60'=$120,000 ouch!

2. Re: Cost of Hull Painting

As was noted the whole deal on quality of the job is in the prep, and there is a huge difference in labor cost between "ok" prep work and really great prep work. For the best-quality job ALL hardware should come off - including window frames. If it CAN be removed, it SHOULD be removed. Needless to say this is NOT cheap.

As such there's a huge price difference too between a "good" job and an "essentially looks like new" job.

There is very little difference in the actual PAINTING cost between spraying and roll/tip work. Indeed, spraying can be cheaper labor-wise on the actual paint application side.

Spraying is a win if you can do it. In many places its next to impossible due to environmental regulations unless you have a VERY LARGE paint building with the appropriate airhandling gear, and that stuff ain't cheap.

If possible, you want the boat inside for the job - no matter which way you have it done. Dirt in the air is MURDER on wet paint and there's no real way to prevent it outside. You can try, but it only takes ONE idiot to screw the job up. You can bet there will be much finger-pointing and trouble if there's contamination in the surface and you expect it to be done over!

I've seen numbers for what is sold as a "complete" job from the rail up at anywhere from $200 - $1000/ft. That's a HUGE difference in price, and there IS a difference in terms of how the job is going to be done - nearly all of it in prep.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I was quoted $250/ft to paint the hull (rub rail to waterline) on my 58yf. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Before leaving Ft. Lauderdale in August, Cable Marine quoted $75,000 for an Awlgrip Matterhorn White paint job on our 61' MY.
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

I was always told if you have gel coat stick with it , you can get the shine back and a good compound and wax has always worked for me although I do need to wax every year minimum..was your boat already painted??
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    I was always told if you have gel coat stick with it , you can get the shine back and a good compound and wax has always worked for me although I do need to wax every year minimum..was your boat already painted??
    Carl, I think it's about 100% odds yours was painted, too. All Hatts were. At least that's what I've been told.
    -- Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tawney1
    Before leaving Ft. Lauderdale in August, Cable Marine quoted $75,000 for an Awlgrip Matterhorn White paint job on our 61' MY.
    Cable's one of the few yards left around here that will spray. Until I got to see the local guys' brushwork around here, I was pretty much decided to send the boat to them. They deal with a lot of megayachts being where they are, and I know the work is good.
    -- Paul

8. Re: Cost of Hull Painting

Man, even at $75 an hour that is 1000 hours of labor, do you really think it takes 1000 hours to prep and paint your boat? I had my 48' boat estimated 2 years ago for paint down in Fort Robyoudale and it was $28K for imeron topsides and epoxy on the hull to the keel. Blisters repair was extra. Jackson Marine on the river, their paint work was excellent but they used a lot of subs for mechanical work and I felt that they ripped me off on that, but their paint facility was really good. I would have done it then but they could not say how much the blister repairs were going to cost (the man said it could cost as much as the paint job) so I decided to wait until I got it to NC. They had a 4 man prep and paint crew and said they could do it in two weeks. That is 320 man hours at $87.00 an hour including paint, or $583 a foot. I would think that anything much more is just plain highway robbery! If you can't find a decent price where you are, you can afford a lot of diesel fuel for what these guys are quoting. You could certainly afford to bring your boat to NC and get it done for a more reasonable price. A lot of marine businesses have migrate from Florida up to NC. Lower labor costs and land costs compared to there. Plus you can visit Sam's Marine and the Hatteras factory, and you can certainly justify saving money in the process.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

I did rubrail up this summer with the boat in the water (hence the low engine hours this year) ... I had done most of the prep last fall. I used Interlux Perfection and painted with a foam roller (actually lots and lots of foam rollers) ... I think the result is pretty good. The hull is pretty well sanded and will get the same treatment in early spring before launch.
    As for you folks in the Long Island, NY area I can recommend the guy that I helped (he knew what he was doing way better than I did) and he is reasonable, dependable and does a good job.
    Last edited by Bertramp; 11-16-2006 at 09:19 AM.

What color Perfection did you use? I tried the "cream " which I was told by the Interlux people was a match for Hatteras off white. It is not . I had used the Interthane plus in Hat off white and butted the new Perfection to it on the deck. The Interthane is very close to 1981 Hat OW ,the Perfection is way too yellow.......Pat