Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cost of Hull Painting

I am considering having my hull painted this winter on 43C. No damage, just age. I heard $200 per foot was a good estimate. Any thoughts on a budget?

Re: Cost of Hull Painting

Geography has a lot to do with pricing. In NC where you are located, there seems to be a good number of qualified craftsmen to do such work. Pricing also depends somewhat on color, and definitely on the addition of striping at the sheer and/or boot. Multiple stripes and colors add up.

I had the hull of my 46 MY painted 2 years ago. I helped with prep and sanding, did the R&R on the stainless myself, etc. The bill was $6,000. net of haulout charges. That was a good deal.

$200/ft should be do able, if you're ready for some other "stuff" that will likely add to that number.

I'll say geography has a lot to do with the price! I was recently quoted $2000/ft
    It's a good thing I was just curious....the boat doesn't need painting.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I got a price of $200.00 per foot for the hull, which you referenced, with Awlgrip here in the N East. Even with the great skills necessary to spray/apply Awlgrip & Imron, along with the cost of the paint(ing) materials themselves, 70+% of the cost is prep/labor -- the real "magic" of any outstanding paint job.

Asking the price for the topsides (gunnels up), brought a contented, far-away daydream look to the yard manager. Visions of tropical vacations coarsing through his mind and, I swear, reflections of palm trees in his eyes. Must be all the corners, angles, windows & the flybridge of an old trunkcabin 41 driving the labor $$'s! I shook him by the collar back to earth and told him 'never mind,' before he finished adding it up.

Even a "Maine Paint Job," rolling & tipping with a high quality acrylic enamel housepaint, which is surprisingly durable and comparable to high quality yacht enamels, is dependant on the preparation. You may find the difference in price for the yard to spray an acrylic enamal paint job, not that less expensive than the 2-part paints.

But a quality Awgrip/Imron paint job, even 10 years old with mediocre care, is a thing of beauty.
    Ford V. Swick
    1960 Trunkcabin41 SeaSwick (3rd owner)
    1968 16' Boston Whaler Nauset w/Merc 115 (Orig owner)
    Real Whalers are blue inside
    1971 Buick GS Conv. (orig owner)
    UltimateSwanPhoto.com

I've been working on the topsides from the toe rail up. Things are coming together pretty good for an old boat. When I have that all done the way I want it, I will price out having the hull sprayed. I have yet to see a hull job that I REALLY liked that was not sprayed. The rest you can work on and make very decent. The hull will set it all off if it's close to perfect IMHO.

The longer I wait, the less the hull job should be because most of the paint is really starting to JUMP off of the hull .

Between the work involved and the materials, there's no easy, or correct, answer. It's just what works depending upon where you are.

K

Agreed, From the rails up, my boat has been rolled and tipped. The hull having been sprayed does make a big difference.

I had actually started out to do a roll/tip on the hull as well. When I realized that the existing paint, which was failing badly, needed to come completely off to do either job-I decided to go ahead and do it right. As stated, the prep is the biggest number. Initially, I was going to do a "quick coat" to make her look more presentable. I'm really happy that I went ahead and just did it right. It looks great.

What I need to do now is to fine tune the roll and tip job on the cabin and decks. She really needs a fine sanding and another coat to really look good. At this point I cannot justify the cost of an AwlGrip job on the decks and cabin.

I was quoted $250/ft to paint the hull (rub rail to waterline) on my 58yf. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Before leaving Ft. Lauderdale in August, Cable Marine quoted $75,000 for an Awlgrip Matterhorn White paint job on our 61' MY.
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

Quote Originally Posted by Tawney1
    Before leaving Ft. Lauderdale in August, Cable Marine quoted $75,000 for an Awlgrip Matterhorn White paint job on our 61' MY.
    Cable's one of the few yards left around here that will spray. Until I got to see the local guys' brushwork around here, I was pretty much decided to send the boat to them. They deal with a lot of megayachts being where they are, and I know the work is good.
    -- Paul

10. Re: Cost of Hull Painting

Man, even at $75 an hour that is 1000 hours of labor, do you really think it takes 1000 hours to prep and paint your boat? I had my 48' boat estimated 2 years ago for paint down in Fort Robyoudale and it was $28K for imeron topsides and epoxy on the hull to the keel. Blisters repair was extra. Jackson Marine on the river, their paint work was excellent but they used a lot of subs for mechanical work and I felt that they ripped me off on that, but their paint facility was really good. I would have done it then but they could not say how much the blister repairs were going to cost (the man said it could cost as much as the paint job) so I decided to wait until I got it to NC. They had a 4 man prep and paint crew and said they could do it in two weeks. That is 320 man hours at $87.00 an hour including paint, or $583 a foot. I would think that anything much more is just plain highway robbery! If you can't find a decent price where you are, you can afford a lot of diesel fuel for what these guys are quoting. You could certainly afford to bring your boat to NC and get it done for a more reasonable price. A lot of marine businesses have migrate from Florida up to NC. Lower labor costs and land costs compared to there. Plus you can visit Sam's Marine and the Hatteras factory, and you can certainly justify saving money in the process.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com