Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cost of Hull Painting

I am considering having my hull painted this winter on 43C. No damage, just age. I heard $200 per foot was a good estimate. Any thoughts on a budget?

Re: Cost of Hull Painting

Geography has a lot to do with pricing. In NC where you are located, there seems to be a good number of qualified craftsmen to do such work. Pricing also depends somewhat on color, and definitely on the addition of striping at the sheer and/or boot. Multiple stripes and colors add up.

I had the hull of my 46 MY painted 2 years ago. I helped with prep and sanding, did the R&R on the stainless myself, etc. The bill was $6,000. net of haulout charges. That was a good deal.

$200/ft should be do able, if you're ready for some other "stuff" that will likely add to that number.

I'll say geography has a lot to do with the price! I was recently quoted $2000/ft
    It's a good thing I was just curious....the boat doesn't need painting.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I got a price of $200.00 per foot for the hull, which you referenced, with Awlgrip here in the N East. Even with the great skills necessary to spray/apply Awlgrip & Imron, along with the cost of the paint(ing) materials themselves, 70+% of the cost is prep/labor -- the real "magic" of any outstanding paint job.

Asking the price for the topsides (gunnels up), brought a contented, far-away daydream look to the yard manager. Visions of tropical vacations coarsing through his mind and, I swear, reflections of palm trees in his eyes. Must be all the corners, angles, windows & the flybridge of an old trunkcabin 41 driving the labor $$'s! I shook him by the collar back to earth and told him 'never mind,' before he finished adding it up.

Even a "Maine Paint Job," rolling & tipping with a high quality acrylic enamel housepaint, which is surprisingly durable and comparable to high quality yacht enamels, is dependant on the preparation. You may find the difference in price for the yard to spray an acrylic enamal paint job, not that less expensive than the 2-part paints.

But a quality Awgrip/Imron paint job, even 10 years old with mediocre care, is a thing of beauty.
    Ford V. Swick
    1960 Trunkcabin41 SeaSwick (3rd owner)
    1968 16' Boston Whaler Nauset w/Merc 115 (Orig owner)
    Real Whalers are blue inside
    1971 Buick GS Conv. (orig owner)
    UltimateSwanPhoto.com

I've been working on the topsides from the toe rail up. Things are coming together pretty good for an old boat. When I have that all done the way I want it, I will price out having the hull sprayed. I have yet to see a hull job that I REALLY liked that was not sprayed. The rest you can work on and make very decent. The hull will set it all off if it's close to perfect IMHO.

The longer I wait, the less the hull job should be because most of the paint is really starting to JUMP off of the hull .

Between the work involved and the materials, there's no easy, or correct, answer. It's just what works depending upon where you are.

K

Agreed, From the rails up, my boat has been rolled and tipped. The hull having been sprayed does make a big difference.

I had actually started out to do a roll/tip on the hull as well. When I realized that the existing paint, which was failing badly, needed to come completely off to do either job-I decided to go ahead and do it right. As stated, the prep is the biggest number. Initially, I was going to do a "quick coat" to make her look more presentable. I'm really happy that I went ahead and just did it right. It looks great.

What I need to do now is to fine tune the roll and tip job on the cabin and decks. She really needs a fine sanding and another coat to really look good. At this point I cannot justify the cost of an AwlGrip job on the decks and cabin.

Find a yard that will allow you to do the prep work, sand the whole thing down with 60g then let the painter apply 545 primer, make sure he sands with 220g then some high build, sand 220g then 545 again and then color. put in your contract that you must inspect between processes, you want to inspect the sanding priming and cleaning. I knew to do this but neglected to follow my own rule and got burned real bad over the summer. The hull is the easiest thing to paint, just alot of surface. Take extra care aound fittings, I like to remove them for primer process then install for top coat. not good to have top coat under the fittings.

Going rate around this part of Florida is about $1k/ft. if you have the painter do everything, and the good ones will try to remove as much hardware as possible.

I guess here's one of those "religion" issues again, but here goes: I wouldn't be too quick to discount brushing the hull for even a top-quality job. I was REALLY from Missouri on doing any brushing at all vs. spraying, but several in the industry around here at top yards forced me to really look at what could be done. It was good enough that I had my entire boat brushed, and I'm pretty darned fussy. The paint is coming up on 4 years, and it all still looks great -- hull included. I don't see brush strokes on my hull. What honestly draws your eye much more (especially with brand new shiny 2-pt. polyurethane paint) are the imperfections in the factory Hatt glasswork. That's how good the paintwork was.

What you'll find with brushing is that it looks as flat as glass for many years, but eventually as the paint shrinks up some from the sun exposure drying it out, you'll start to get the brush strokes of the 1st coat coming through a LITTLE. But that's really a topsides thing, as it gets the most brutal direct exposure. The hull should be fine for much longer. With the money you should save from brushing, you could afford to recoat the topside sections that are getting the most direct exposure (i.e. upper house, toerail).

I'd say if you had a $3 million Merritt or Rybo or something, fine, go ahead and say goodbye to your boat for 3-6 mos and have it sprayed. But even Merritt will only do brush painting for their customers -- the only thing they spray are the new boats.
    -- Paul

The $2000/ft price I was quoted is for sprayed awlgrip, waterline to tower, open bridge, two hardtops, etc., everything included.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

there are painting contractors who work out of Crackerboy Boat yard in Ft Pierce FL. THese guys do a #1 job, 500/ foot is going rate for top side only, hull should be cheeper. they dont have paint shed, do open air but we have seen the work and it is nice. we decided to go cheeper and went somewhere else and got burned.