Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: new customs clearing procedures

Quote Originally Posted by FREEBIRD
    Thanks again for the additional info. I've heard the same thing about State Farm not offering insurance on my size/price/age Hatt to FL residents.

However, my agent assures me this will be no problem. I can only assume it has to do with the fact that I will be maintaining my TN residency status.

Go figure.
    I'd get that statement in writing and then confirm it with someone at State Farm who actually makes those decisions - the agent doesn't make those decisions, but the assurances sure do "sound nice." If the agent refuses to put that in writing specifically....well, then you know what you should do.....

In all my years of dealing with insurance companies on claims, I've never known "residency" to have anything to do with coverage. There are two insurance companies known for not paying claims. When I get a case where the insurer is one them, I rarely bother with pre-suit because it's just a waste of time with them. Guess which ones those two carriers are? I'd be concerned and get it in writing if I were you.
    Last edited by Angela; 11-06-2006 at 05:28 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

All of the documentation issues notwithstanding, I think this is great news about the call-in thing being reinstituted; that's the way it used to be, except you never had to preregister before save and except for having the customs sticker for the boat that you renew each year.

As for us being less safe border/security-wise, I don't think this changes anything. The new-old method of having to appear at an immigration office was also on a voluntary basis, too.

NOW, the big issue is to get all your passengers pre-registered. I'm wondering what happens if just one or two of your crew are not preregistered. Does that mean the captain has to go down with the two of them? I caught heck one time by letting the crew report themselves to the immigration office instead of going down as a group.
    -- Paul

3. Re: new customs clearing procedures

Ang, thanks for the additional info. You must have been typing at the same time I was responding to thoward.

I fully understand and appreciate the ramifications of less than up front insurance scenarios. I discussed that with my brother on several occasions as he maintained a TN address and driver's license despite the fact he had lived and worked in FL for over 2 years. As you pointed out, I told him he would be screwed if he ever had a serious claim. It is common knowledge that insurance companies are not "a good neighbor", they are out to make money. They will do everything in their power to deny a claim if it is not legitimate, and rightfully so.

In the case of my 58TC in FL, I had every intention of bringing it back to TN when I purchased it. Unfortunately, a barge crashed into a lock rendering it inoperable, and my starboard engine took early retirement. Both these incidents are well documented, so I may have a loophole that has allowed me coverage.

I did have my agent follow up with the home office when the hurricaine was threatening the Gulf coast a few months ago. I told him I had decided to leave the boat in FL, and I asked that he confirm how long I could leave it there without the requirement of some sort of rider. He assured me there was no problem for up to one year after the date of purchase. I've had State Farm for over 30 years now, and I've always received good service from them on the rare occasion I filed a claim.

It may however be prudent to receive something in writing to the effect of what has been promised verbally. I don't need any more problems in my life right now. As for the Bahama registration scenario, the boat is not currently documented. However, it sounds like it would be more trouble than it would be worth to pursue that issue. I'll just pay the fees and bitch about it like everybody else.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

some bad agents will tell you your fine just untill they get there commisions check then there story may change and they will tell you , well maybe we should change insurance
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA