Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

MMO - use on Bike but related to boat!

Another "Marvel-ous" save for Marvel Mystery Oil. I've been using this stuff for years and it never ceases to amaze me...

I have a new old Norton Commando Motorcycle that I just acquired. As is normal with everything you buy - boats, cars, bikes, whatever - things are often not as they are represented. And I will admit that sometimes the sellor may not know about it either.

This bike turns out to have (among other issues) a siezed up front fork spring. The spring is in the no load position and essentially welded to the fork tube due to years of non-use. I tried all the usual penetrants and banged on the spring with a brass drift and hammer. The penetrants would just sit in the top of the tube and not drain at all, just as if the spring and top washer was a solid seal.

For some reason - I don't really know why - I cleaned out the inch or so of the puddled last penetrant and poured in an inch of MMO. I figured I'd leave if for the day, come back later and tap on the spring top some more. Imagine my surprise to walk back into the garage 20 minutes later to see MMO dripping out of the fork drain and the puddle on top of the spring missing! Poured in some more which drained through. Tapped on the spring - FREE. I never used MMO as a penetrant before but it may now replace the usual (and seldom effective) products.

Great Stuff and DEFINITELY NOT to be treated like the snake oils it is often lumped in with.

Re: MMO - use on Bike but related to boat!

Mike, it needs a better name; "Mystery Oil" isn't scientific enough. How about "US MILSPEC Approved Penetrant G5987087665"- or is that name already taken

Boy, that stuff has been around a very long time. Same logo on the can also. It isn't junk and does a great job. We had an airplane once that had been damaged and the engine sat for 9 months while the airframe was repaired. The prop wouldn't turn. We pulled the top plugs, squirted Marvel Mystery oil in, let it sit overnight, and the engine turned over fine. We then changed the crancase oil to Marvel and flew it for an hour. Now we went back to the regular aviation oil. That engine was still running great right to overhaul time and beyond. I lump Marvel oil in with 2 other great products. MIL 5606 hydraulic oil is great and, of course, WD40.

I totally concur! WD40 has to be one of the all-time great chemical inventions. My mother - 88 and still plays golf - tells me that some of her "young" friends (in their late 70's/early 80s) use WD40 to reduce pain in their elbows and swear it works; spray on, rub in. When I lived in Alaska (mid 1980's), the fish and game folks had to outlaw the use of WD40 sprayed on fishing bait because halibut fisherman found it greatly enhanced the attraction of the bait. For a while - don't know if it's still true - they said you couldn't have WD 40 on a fishing boat. Everybody went nuts!

I'm also a CorrosionX fan - basically thicker WD 40 when you need a more substantial lubricant than WD40 but don't want to go to the trouble of spraying WD40 and then following it with something thicker. But if they took away CorrosionX, it wouldn't be a big issue. If they took away WD 40, I'd have to quit doing mechanical work!

I have never had to deal with marine corrosion as we have always boated in fresh water. Sice we took our Hat to Miami, I now have to face the problem. I have picked many brains on this subject and everyone seems to feel that you can't beat BoShield T9. It sure seems to get the job done. I guess it came before the newer corrosion coatings and most folks seem to think that it is still a superior product. Other "can't beat them" products are Shell Rotella oil and Slimy Grimy for removing marine growth during haulout.

And a couple of my favorites, Shiela Shine for aluminum and stainless and Poco for rust and green corrosion.
    Boeshield is GREAT! I use it on all brass and bronze. Whenever I install a new fitting or a acid cleaned part I spray it with Boeshield. Whenever someone gets a new boat , I spray everything with Boeshield and 7-8 years later no green on the strainers or seacocks.
    Last edited by captddis; 10-29-2006 at 09:52 AM.

7. Re: MMO - use on Bike but related to boat!

Boeshield is IMHO the best anti-corrosion stuff out there.

The WD40 thing and fishing WORKS. Try it sometime....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I have to say, I have used Boeshield T9 and it is good, but CorrosionX is amazing. I have never seen anything like it. I don't know how good it is as a penetrating oil, but to keep things from rusting- wow...