Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Robertson Autopilot Repairs/Parts

I've got an AP 300 series unit, with the main display freaking out. For some time it gave frequent control unit failures, and the LCD display would go nuts. I don't think it's the brain box however because the remote always seemed to work. Every pic I've seen of these shows dark spots in the LCD (this is the big, rectangular display, not the square box with just rudder angle or heading)

At this point, the main display is completely inoperative, and I want to replace it. Anyone know of a place that repairs these or sells parts?

Thanks,

-Ed G.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

2. Re: Robertson Autopilot Repairs/Parts

Parts are NLA from Robertson/Simrad - this was as of a couple of years ago.

I took my AP200DL apart a couple of times and cleaned up cold solder joints, and "fixed" it. However, I was resigned to the fact that if it ever died "for real" it was going to get binned and replaced, not because I wanted to, but because there was no other option. That sucks, because frankly, I liked my AP200 - it worked well.

Look on eBAY - sometimes parts for these show up in good working order.

BTW the pump is usable with current Simrad APs (e.g. AP25, etc)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Robertson Autopilot Repairs/Parts

I have an old AP11 that works fine. Like Karl said, ebay is the place to watch. It may also be worth a call to a Marine Electronics vendor that does a lot of installs. They remove these older units all the time. If the components don't end up in the dumpster, perhaps someone has parts and pieces that will help you out. Its worth a try. By the way, on ebay you can enter search parameters that will e-mail you when something pops up fitting your need. Its pretty cool.

The simrad Rep referred me to Marine Electronincs Outer Banks.
    Howard 252 441 1360.

There's a good chance your problem is simply electrical-connection problems. I went through all the connections on our old oem Raytheon NECO unit on our 53MY. It wasn't working propelry when we got the boat. After cleaning all connections in every box on the boat - probably 200 individual connections - it works perfectly and very impressively. Took a couple of hours and maybe an ounce of CorrosionX! Since I got that old non-NMEA "tank" working properly, I haven't cared a bit to replace it with something more modern.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    There's a good chance your problem is simply electrical-connection problems. I went through all the connections on our old oem Raytheon NECO unit on our 53MY. It wasn't working propelry when we got the boat. After cleaning all connections in every box on the boat - probably 200 individual connections - it works perfectly and very impressively. Took a couple of hours and maybe an ounce of CorrosionX! Since I got that old non-NMEA "tank" working properly, I haven't cared a bit to replace it with something more modern.
    Well, this one is a bit more modern than the wood-freeman, but the connection thing still applies. It's worth a look.......
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric
    I have an old AP11 that works fine. Like Karl said, ebay is the place to watch. It may also be worth a call to a Marine Electronics vendor that does a lot of installs. They remove these older units all the time. If the components don't end up in the dumpster, perhaps someone has parts and pieces that will help you out. Its worth a try. By the way, on ebay you can enter search parameters that will e-mail you when something pops up fitting your need. Its pretty cool.
    Yep. I've had an ebay search out there for this thing for months.....a few have shown up, all with the teltale black spot in the LCD that precedes problems. People are very proud of them, asking 4-600 for units that have bad displays, and are not guaranteed to work.

There was one that I should have jumped on, but it was a complete system, and priced as such. Everything else works fine, and I just needed the display, so I passed.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht