Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I want to build a watermaker

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    Ed and I talked about this and I think we are going to run it off the genny. I'll be running the genny most of the time anyway so it just makes sense. During charter which is when I'll need the WM most, the boat will move twice a day and because the movement from one location to the next is not that far, there won't be enough time on the engines to make water. We need to look at the genny room, now, and figure out how to fit it all together. We're also planning to add a second generator, so if space is a factor on the one that's already down there, we could put it on the second one. Boy, the genny ER is getting smaller and smaller!
    The only think I don't like about this plan is losing our soundbox. I think I'm going to need to build one, with sound blankets over a frame, as I've seen on other boats. Anyone know where to get that material?

I can weld the frame up with little trouble, and I might be able to arrange it so that it covers the belt and pump as well.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

I've seen a 53 MY with a second Genset in the stbd engineroom. It was mounted on a shelf over the main engine against the aft bulkhead, outboard side. It seemed to be out of the way there. May be worth consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric
    I've seen a 53 MY with a second Genset in the stbd engineroom. It was mounted on a shelf over the main engine against the aft bulkhead, outboard side. It seemed to be out of the way there. May be worth consideration.
    I WISH! There is no way I'm getting anything else in either of the main engine rooms unless it's hanging from the ceiling. I can barely squeeze around them now, and I'm not a big person. To make matters worse, I have one of those "certified for 49 passengers" boats that has all that insulation lining the ER walls and there went a lot of room as I lost at least 4" of space on each wall due to the thickness of the rockwool and alumium. I'm going back and forth on whether I want to tear all that out......
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by LBDboater
    Would there be any modifications for a strictly fresh water (lake water) water maker? I boat on a fresh water lake, but still have been thinking about a water maker. Let me know any ideas. By the way, the link to how to build a water maker was truly amazing. It was a lot of help.
    I believe that link to the website that I posted talked about watermakers being used for other than seawater conversion. I've read so many now, that I'm not 100% sure where it was without a lot of digging. I recall the difference was only the membrane. there was one for tap water, one other, and then sea water.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Quote Originally Posted by LBDboater
    Would there be any modifications for a strictly fresh water (lake water) water maker? I boat on a fresh water lake, but still have been thinking about a water maker. Let me know any ideas. By the way, the link to how to build a water maker was truly amazing. It was a lot of help.
    I've thought about this as well, but have never gotten a clear answer other than "it should work", BUT.....

I think different membranes might be needed, as you're trying to filter out 'stuff' other than brine.

Also, here, I'm told they are illegal because the by-product goes back into the lake, which is considered "discharge". Go figure...you're only putting back some of what you take out.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht

AngelaThe only think I don't like about this plan is losing our soundbox. I think I'm going to need to build one, with sound blankets over a frame, as I've seen on other boats. Anyone know where to get that material?

Angela
    Is this what you need or thinking of http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/enter.asp?partnum=9781T15
    I am using this to make one for my Genny this winter. I have used it in work and used it for my foward bulkhead last year. It is nice to work with I spent the extra money for the double faced. I also found if you sew it a long your cut line it stays together better. Let me know if you want more Info.
    Dan
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt
    Angela
    Is this what you need or thinking of http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/enter.asp?partnum=9781T15
    I am using this to make one for my Genny this winter. I have used it in work and used it for my foward bulkhead last year. It is nice to work with I spent the extra money for the double faced. I also found if you sew it a long your cut line it stays together better. Let me know if you want more Info.
    Dan
    I don't know, Dan...that was Ed's post about building a new soundbox, not mine.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    I don't know, Dan...that was Ed's post about building a new soundbox, not mine.
    Yes, that's the stuff! Or something like it....saw it on another boat, heard it work, and loved it. I'm looking for Misty too. There isn't much room between the engines and the genny on her, so the flexibility of the cloth attracts me.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht

Angela I don't know, Dan...that was Ed's post about building a new soundbox, not mine.
    WOW I did screw that! Well I didn't change Ed's word though .
    And I guess I found the right stuff
    Ed the stuff is really nice to work with thinking of same approach simple frame with blanket sewn to fit and zipper for and access points.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt
    WOW I did screw that! Well I didn't change Ed's word though
    LOL, I'm leaving that one alone
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C