Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trawlers

Re: Trawlers

We did the same thing, Carl. We were looking at 1970's 53MY's and then I thought I would just "look" at a 1985 53EDMY. Well, after looking and after ponying up another 100-150k more than the others.............you get the picture.
    I'm glad that I have the boat that I do now, though. It sure is easier to start with something that is in pretty good shape, then to have to spend all of your time upgrading and not really using it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    And, if anyone is thinking about single engine opereration, consider this: If you have stabilizers, you will want to run the engine with the hydraulic pump on it. This means that only one engine will be getting the hours or you will have to run half of the time without stabilization. I doubt it is really worth it in that case.
    your right I forgot about that so if I was on along voyage and my stabilizers are hooked to my starboard engine then I'd save the port for good weather days?
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Before our Hatt we owned an Ocean Alexander 50' markI.
    It was a great boat in heavy weather, but slow.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

DON'T DO IT, SENOR GOOZMAN!!! No other boat would fill those shoes and be the GuzCruiser!
    -- Paul

5. Re: Trawlers

I do not see how you will save money by switching to a Nordhaven. There are 4 here in my marina, and one is just been sold. The owner is waiting to take delivery of his new 47. But he is already speaking of selling so that he can by their 68.

Though It may save you fuel, I believe you will spend the difference in the purchase of a new boat.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Carl, in all honesty I'd perhaps start looking now in the options of occasional week-long island charters or something with your boat in case you really need the $$$ and it becomes a case of having to sell the boat. Those charter dollars could tide you over until things balance out in your business. Then you don't lose the boat.

It takes a while to find a good captain you'd entrust with your boat, but with the right one (or ones) and somebody that can throw you occasional charters (maybe 2 or 3x/yr), you'd be in good shape and get some much-needed maintenance paid for. And that boat would be an absolute dream for a lot of people to charter -- she's gorgeous. You'd get a decent buck. Think about it.
    -- Paul

7. Re: Trawlers

I know a qualified captain with experience on GuzCruzin.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

8. Re: Trawlers

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    So my advise when your shopping don't, don't ,don't walk on a boat that is more than you want to go because it will bother you forever whether you buy it or not you'll always think about it.
    Very timely advice as we head to FLIBS. Maybe I better stay home.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Being one of the few, perhaps the only, trawler owner on this forum, let me offer some of my observations from five years of owning a Hatteras 48 LRC. The boat is a keeper for sure, but it is a different style of boating from a planning hull. Prior to the purchase of our 48 we owned two Hatteras planning hull boats, a 36 and 44.

Our boat is slow, but not as slow as a Nordhavn. I pass them frequently running in the ICW, when I am doing 8 knots, which is our cruising speed. I would recommend that you travel at 7 knots for a day or two and see if you like it. Trust me, that one knot is a big difference in perceived speed. A similar size sail boat will often run at 7.5 knots or better on their engine and sails. The Nordhavn may be able to cruise faster, but I have yet to see one doing it. Another opinion, do not give up twin engines. Better yet get twin engines and a bow thruster. Lots of sail area on all these style boats that can make docking in a breeze a real challenge. Be sure to go through a couple of dockings in a breeze before making a decision on any trawler. Make sure you have stabilizers or get use to rolling around with the round chines. We have all the above on our boat and it is now manageable and comfortable. Draft is also a concern as these boats draw more water than similar sized planning boats. My keel bottom is always clean down to the gel coat when I get hauled. And finally, a subjective point, there is just a big difference in going slow by choice and having no choice but to go slow.

Now for the positives and there are many. We burn 6 gallons an hour cruising at 8 knots. That includes the generator running an average light load. We carry 1400 gallons of fuel. So not only do you burn less but you get to buy fuel when you think the price is right, not every day or two out of necessity. We fuel once or twice a year with an average of about 200 engine hours each year. Raised pilothouse trawlers offer a great steering position in climate controlled accomodations, one of the best features. The piloting of the boat is relaxed as opposed to what I will rate as intense when you are on plane. The interior of the boat is much quiter when running, much less engine noise. The boats tend to be beamier than planning hulls of similar length, roomier. Smaller engines equals more room in the engine room, although fuel tanks take a lot of that extra room in our case. And, although you draw more water and will touch bottom more often, its hard to do damage to the running gear with the deep keel protection.

Hope there is some useful info in all of this to help you in the decision process.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    there is just a big difference in going slow by choice and having no choice but to go slow.
    Pete
    You may have hit the nail on the head there .. but I got to go or I'll be in the dog house talk to you guys tomarrow...
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA