Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Trawlers

Trawlers

Wow wow wow I just got done geting some info from Nordhavn they sent me a Fed EX tube with a CD on there Atlantic crossing 2004 and a CD on there 47 and 55ft plus a full Blue print on both vessels I'm talking a full blue print this whole thing must have cost some bucks I just called the guy 4 days ago to meet him at the boat show ? I may need something smaller and cheaper to operate?? I hate to switch over guys but man it was perty cool...does Hatteras have any LRC still in production ??? also this weekend I got to try running on one engine and see how far I get ? or see how much I can save ...
    my boats got logs from Alaska thru the canal and it came with some thingie mabob that holds one shaft from spining so it dont over heat the engine that is off any info on this stuff out there???
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Re: Trawlers

these are much smaller boats, even the 55,compared to yours.. even compared to a 53. the layour just doens't yield the same amount of space.

if you are looking for economy at low speed, i'm not sure what you're burning at 10lkts but i bet it's pretty reasonable considering the amount of space you have... 12GPH?

Running on one engine is definitely an option. I came back from eliot on one engine and at 1300rpm we were doing 7kts i think... not bad and it was a smoother, quiter ride. I was plesantly surprised. i had the shaft tied with a line, but I'm sure something better could be engineered...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

1. you really got to see the space the 55' is 4 floors mine is only 3?
    2. at 10kts I'm burning 8gl. per engine ? you do the math
    with 1150 gallons my range on a good day is 600-700 kmiles..
    3. I got this thing in my engine room to clamp on the shaft and hold it stiff..
    But the trawlers here run 900 gallons with a 3,500 kmile range thies guys went from Lauderdale to Bermuda 6 days and Bermuda to Azorzes Island off Portugal 12 days then to spain in 7 days ...WOW I just want to cruies the Caribbean and South America but this thing uses hardly any fuel...It only has one engine big difference no drag the bottom looks like a sail boat...I gotto practice with one engine and see how she does If I can go thru the Panama Canal wich she has done already I'll be happy but I got to figure it out and I think they did it on one engine with my boat ???
    Attached Images
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

4. Re: Trawlers

You better check the speed of that thing, because that may be all the speed it will do. If you want economy buy a blow boat, wind is free. There are some pretty cool rag bagger yachts. But I would rather be able to speed up and get around most weather. Have you ever been in real nasty weather in the Atlantic? I have been caught out in 30 footers, NO FUN! and being out in an underpower glorified tug boat will be NO FUN when the weather turns bad. You would probably be better off in the blow boat. Just some points to ponder.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

The reason to lock the shaft on the inop. engine is because of the transmission. These trannys are hydraulic, but the engine runs the hydraulic pump. This pump operates the clutch packs for both forward and reverse. The pump also supplies preassure oil to lubricate the gears and bearings in the back, (output end), of the transmission.If you just let the shaft spin, you will be turning the gears and bearings in the back of the unit with no lubrication. In reality your engine only runs an oil pump.

Thanks Rupp I know if I dont lock the shaft down it will over heat slowly,,I'm just amazed at how much speed you don't lose by cutting one engine off??
    Chris you are right it would be slow to get a trawler but it's nice to think of the new ports you can make it to
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Carl,
    Running on one engine at anything much above idle will overload the running engine. It will be more efficient, but it will create more heat as you will be overpropped for that purpose. It is not something you should do except in emergency or at near idle for trolling purposes.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Well some how this boat I got made it thru the Panama canal from Puerto Rico and then to Alaska she got some travel behind her and I got three logs full of reading I got to do and they say they ran on one engine to get the long legs behind her .. there is not too many filling stations out at sea
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

9. Re: Trawlers

You can run up to hull speed or a bit above on one motor with the other shaft locked indefinitely without problems.

Indeed, its the best economy mode of operation for long range on these boats.

Now here's the bad news on the Nords. They're great boats but that 3500 mile range on 900 gallons is at SEVEN knots. Read that again guys - SEVEN.

Speed up to 8.5-9, and she gets 1nmpg, just like your boat does at the same speed.

The only reason yous WON'T is that you can't run at that speed and keep the engine you're running on warm; you'll destroy it idling for three months straight. The Nord doesn't have that problem because it has 1/10th of the mustangs yours does.

This is why the concept of a diesel/electric drive with TWO generator engines sounds interesting to me. You can run at 7 kts and get the 3nmpg, you can run at 10kts and get 1nmpg, or you can run on plane and get 0.3-0.4nmpg. CHOOSE! With conventional drive systems you can AT BEST do two of the three.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Well the new one is called a fast trawler and cruieses at 9 kts I'm only going 10 kts in mine most of the time , but i got to see what she'll do with one engine only I'll be testing her soon .. I guess your right if I trade I'd be kicking my self later I'm just scared to go to this boat show I don't do well at boat shows especially the mother of all boat shows
    good night all ...
    NAPLES, FLORIDA