Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Repower of 50C with 60 series - will they fit?

I want to repower o 1980 50c with 825 hp 60 series Detroit. Can anyone tell me if they will fit.

Re: Repower of 50C with 60 series - will they fit?

We too are looking into this because we may have a blown engine. We have a 1982 50C. I think the Series 60 will fit, but it woudl be tight. I did have the oportunity to see a 1985 52C with 900 Yanmars in it and have extensive conversation with the captain who oversaw the project. It was a very sweet ride and the boat did amost 32kts at the top end.

My concern is how to get them out. The starboard enigne would require removing the Galley and I do not think that would be an easy task. At this point we are still looking around, adn do not even know if what is completly wrong. Let me know what you find out. I would like to hear of what fits.

By the way, which motors do you have? Where is your boat located? I would love to see another 50C from my series. They are few and far between.
    Last edited by Liquid Asset; 10-20-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Have seen a pair of Cat 3406E's, the Yanmars mentioned above and Man 2840LE403's @ 1050hp all in the 52' model. Series 60 should fit, but it seems to me as though I heard they will not be continuing that model. You might want to check that out with a distributor.

I would vote for the 3406E's. But I have been a Caterpillar fan since the day I set foot on a big boat. If they will fit, I think you would be very happy with them.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

I would think the disadvantage of the Series 60 and Yanmar 900 is that they are V-series engines, which take up more space...the 3406E is an inline six- narrower and smoother. I didn't know they were discontinuing the Series 60...they were at the boat show last week.

Not eactly sure how the 50c campares with the 53c on engine room space but Cummings in Charleston has a 53c they use as a factory test boat that currently has QSM's installed. The engine room looks like you could hold a dance in there it is so spacious. I am comparing it to my 53c with the 12v71's. Access is pretty good with those but the inline 6 engines make a huge difference.

JAM3 Guest

Both the Cat 3406E and the DD Series 60 , at least the ones I have in trucks , are both inline 6 cyl.

When I was at the local DD dealership last week I inquired as to the status of series 60 and the guys at the service desk were unsure about their future. They did suggest that the factory "Reliabuilt" would be great if all the parts for marinizing were available at a decent cost. The price of a Reliabilt engine was pretty reasonable at about $15,500.00. Food for thought.

P.S. Series 60, 6 cyl in line. very narrow... be sure to check height however as it looked pretty tall in their showroom.

Walt

per Mr. Slane the engine rooms of both the 50c and the 53c are identical. i've installed 3406E-800's upon Tom's recommendation as well as my past favorable-history with cats. the series 60 was an option for me to consider as well.

the only thing you might encounter is a restructure of the floor joists for the cabin sole, but that certainly is an easy task.

in getting them out consider removing one then sliding the other over and out...or, consider bringing them in, dropping the nose, and tucking them into place.

be creative.

I have completely rebuilt the 50c added 3 ft, new cockpit, electronic controlls, 2x 20kw Northern lights, and repowered with 8V92TA 760 DDEC (up from the original 550 8V92TI) -- we have 2.7 :1 ZF transmissions. My props are the carbon fibre ones from Europe but they are currently to large. I have e "depitched" version ready to install.

However I have had a torrid time with the 92's and I doubt that they can give me the reliability with the performance that I require. I presently do 19 knots full at 1700 rpm (85% load on the computer). If I push it up to 2100 (they overheat very quickly) I can get 25kt.

The new props may help but in the last 18 months we have blown valves and cracked heads too may times to admit, even though we criuse at apprx 1750 rpm and the engines run cool at the speed. We never exceed this limit!!

I think ultimately I want to cruise at 20kt and top out at 26kt and to do this and have the reliability I will need bigger engines.

Can you gime me details as to the performance of the Yanmars?? Did they use the V8 900 HP engine?

I will send some photos for those who may be interested.