Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

NE Rendevous Comes to End after 14 years

I just received a letter from Mike Meyers of Boston Yacht Sales that states that Hatteras has decided to go in a new direction and has announced that they will no longer be sponsoring any dealer organized Rendezvous. Their 14 year tradition of meeting in Newport, RI each year has come to an end. In their new direction, Hatteras intends to plan an event(s) for Hatteras clients at the factory and that we'll be hearing about those plans directly from Hatteras.

I wasn't able to attend the 2006 Rendezvous this summer, but I did attend the 2005 Rendezvous last summer. It was an amazing time. There were reps from Awlgrip, Cat, Gowrie Barden & Brett (Insurance), electronics, etc. They had a class in first aid, "cooking onboard", yacht open houses, yacht christenings for people attending for first time or new boat owners with champagne and Dixie Land band in addition to the fantastic meals and entertainment. Of course, I can't speak highly enough about the owners and guest that attended.

There had to be approximately 40-50 boats present from '70s to '05 attending. I was really looking forward to the 2007 Rendezvous, but now I need to find something else for the third week of July 2007.

Hatteras should continue to support these Rendezvous' as this is how they build their reputation with owners that continue to support their brand. They can save the money on the boat show tickets because there are a lot of us that are not in the Fort Lauderdale area during the time of the show.

Just my $0.02.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Re: NE Rendevous Comes to End after 14 years

Hey Larry, Now you have a reason to come visit New Bern. I'm sure the southern hospitality will be great. If you hear any more regarding the upcoming rendevous let us know. In the meantime Y'all come see us now hear?

Quote Originally Posted by MicroKap
    I just received a letter from Mike Meyers of Boston Yacht Sales that states that Hatteras has decided to go in a new direction and has announced that they will no longer be sponsoring any dealer organized Rendezvous. Their 14 year tradition of meeting in Newport, RI each year has come to an end. In their new direction, Hatteras intends to plan an event(s) for Hatteras clients at the factory and that we'll be hearing about those plans directly from Hatteras.
    Here comes Brunswick!
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Well, this is a shame. They haven't done them on the Bay for several years; Baker Marine stopped and Jarrett Bay didn't restart them. I suspect the factory might support (somewhat) rendevous that other people were organizing or sponsoring, but I could very well be wrong. We'll see what they replace it with, if anything. As they move more and more upmarket, I think there will be less of these activities, but I hope I am mistaken.

There was a time when they built boats from 28' to 85' or something like that. That's a long time ago- the smallest one is fifty feet or better and over a million dollars. I am not in that category, but I hope you guys are. I'd like to have some rich friends.

It's too bad. I know Michael and his group work hard all year to help put this together for their customers and others.

New direction seems to be the norm for high-end corporations lately. Hopefully, Hatteras won't lose sight of us folks in the process. Their support is unmatched anywhere...so far.

K

Sorry to hear about the end of the Rendevous. Micheal and Rhonda did a great job. We attended 5 of them and enjoyed them all. I guess Hatteras is only interested in the big fish now.

Cheer up guys and girls.......

While speaking with some folks at the Annapolis show yesterday, I was informed that Hatteras is giving serious consideration to producing some smaller boats again and in fact they supposedly have a new MY in the low 50's in the pipeline. I hope it's true - there still may be some hope for most of us regular folks to have a new Hatteras available that we might be able to afford some day. The chances are good that they came to the conclusion that most owners of the very large Hatts started out owning smaller ones first.

Walt

I hope they dont just fix up a Searay and re package it. FWIW the presidend of Brunswick stated he wanted hatteras for when the SR owners needed a bigger and better yacht. Like when they grow up and realize its time for a real boat.

9. Re: NE Rendevous Comes to End after 14 years

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Someone needs to wake up and figure out why people buy Hats. The johnny come lately (keeping up with the jones') will buy a few boats for now. These people are buying floating barges for coctail parties. They are not boaters or yachtsmen. If the new rich is your market, buy all means go after it. But, I would certainly look back at 40 years of foundation and make sure that I don't move off it into quicksand. Hat has been moving away from our class of boats for a long time. So far no one has stepped into the void.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com