Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why do I need a new Generator - Part II

I wanted to start a new thread to stay on point.

Ok, here is the deal;
    The electrical goodies I spoke of are in a box on top of the unit that houses a printed circut board, diodes and such. Wires from that box run to yet another box where the high tension wires a hooked to a block then run to a circut breaker panel. It's what is in that box that is causing the problem, or so I'm told.

To review the problem, after a few moments of running the voltage meter on the panel starts swinging rapidly between 109..121 VAC. This was confirmed by me with a volt meter testing at the leads on the gen set. RPM was verified 3 times with repeteable results which was 1801..1803 rpms. The throttle (governor?) does not hunt while there is an electrical load. To test this I engerized the engine pad heaters, for example and the engine has a momentary drop in rpms but recovers quickly. Again engine does not hunt. Coinciding with the voltage swing my 110v lights flicker at the same pace as the swinging needle on the panel meter.

I had mentioned of putting 5k so far into this gen set. After a review of the invoices last night its more like $6,132.47, to be exact.

The total dollar amount was done in 2 stages:
    1st - $1,783.46 which included:
    Gen survey
    Oil change with filter
    Fuel filter change
    Valve adjustment
    Belt guard
    Repair broken bolt for fresh water cooling pump pulley

The gen set then ran for only 4 hours - just died and would not restart.

2nd - $4,349.01 which included:
    Travel time for mechanic
    rebuild 2 injectors
    rebuild injector pump
    replace engine shutdown solonid
    replace glow plug

Now it's hard to publicly admit when one has been taken for a ride but it would appear that I'm the passenger in this case. Coupled with the fact that I've got this much money invested so far to keep from being a total fool, I should finish it and get it operational. My thoughts are what choice do I have?

I've been in MI for a 1.5 years (moved from LI) and still getting the lay of the land as far as service companies. The company that did the work has an excellent reputation but I'm starting to feel they are not as sharp on the back-end (Scrods definition) mechanical / electrical.

After the original thread I had to come clean with myself and figured out the reason for asking this group about replacing the gen set with an inverter was my way of not facing the fact that I've not done a real good job on this gen set. In other words mad at myself for not shopping this around or bringing it to the attention of this fourm and it's nicked me pretty hard.

So that being said, I'm going to try to make this set work. Bill (Trojan), thanks for the phone number and I'll call you later today.

To the rest of the group, thanks for taking time and giving your input.
    Mike Stailey
    1978 43 DC/FB

Re: Why do I need a new Generator - Part II

On my 6.5 gas unit - 1800 rpm ONAN MCCK-- a few rpm change has a direct effect on FREQUENCY which has a direct effect on VOLTAGE. Do you have a FREQ meter on your panel? If you can get that to stabilize your volts will follow suit. If you want to sell it I mite be interested. I am in Chicago and my 58 Hatt needs a generator. ws

3. Re: Why do I need a new Generator - Part II

I HIGHLY doubt that's the control box per-se. Sounds like a bad connection or a bad rotor field coil (the latter is pretty bad as a rebuild on the generator end is expensive enough, in my mind anyway, to scrap the unit)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill
    Do you have a FREQ meter on your panel? If you can get that to stabilize your volts will follow suit.
    Mike has established that it's running at 1801 - 1803. I promise that if that's true, his frequency is stable. If voltage is wavering and frequency is not, it's an electrical problem. You're right, voltage will vary if frequency changes. But that's not what's happening here. So his mechanic may not be completely off the mark.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Mike, avoid beating yourself up. No one calls a repair outfit with the intention of ordering a lousy job and shafting themselves. (it does happen, unfortunately). Another way to look at this is that you've hopefully done the big stuff on the engine part of the set, anyway. The problem is, as you say, it is easier to find guys to work on the engine end than the generator end.

I think I would, if in your shoes, shop for the absolute best deal I could on a new set (which I still think doesn't have to be 7.5Kw) and then see what I could get for the old set for parts. It is not worthless. Or- buy a similar set for parts, and rebuild what you have. But- I think you would enjoy the peace of mind that goes with new stuff and a warranty.

Trouble shooting the gen end is not difficult if you have a manual. That should be done. If the gen end is bad, get a new generator. After you're done taking the gen end off to get it out. take the rest out and sell it for parts. I doubt the gen end is bad, however as they are very robust by today's standards.

Folks that knew anything about the relay logic control panel are retired or pushing up daisies. The service folks used to carry a complete unit with them and send the bad ones to Onan for shop rebuilds with the proper test equipment. A friend of mine had a generator service guy replace a whole control unit for $150 plus labor. He buys them used and swaps them out. I'll try to get his name but there are lots of bad MDJE's around with ok control panels.

The question is, is it the control panel? Probably not, but you may have to eliminate it if the diodes are all ok, and the serviceable items and connections on the back of the gen end are ok. IMHO that is where the problem is. Read how this generator regulates voltage and check the items sequentially. Of the nine leads that go from the control panel to the gen end, something as simple as a wire chafe will cause your symptoms. Forget the frequency. The generator is running the right speed...that's all you need to know there.

The manual has a trouble shooting area and your problem is described. Check it out.

Good luck.

Ted

Ted

7. Re: Why do I need a new Generator - Part II

This is all useful info. I have a 9.0 kw on my boat and have had 3 different mechanics work on it over the years.

All did a good job and I was not overbilled.

BUT.......

The one question I asked all of them before they left was "Is the rpm's and voltage what they are supposed to be."

All 3 checked it out (I watched all 3 do it so believed them) and said "yes, it's running at 1800 prm and 120 VAC coming out"

My question to all of them (and now you guys), then WHY do our electric clocks "gain" 20 mins a day when I run the genset but run properly on shore power???

The genset was running with a load when all 3 did their checking....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

8. Re: Why do I need a new Generator - Part II

Because they're not running right on frequency!
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

yep, you've been a very good passenger.. geesh... what do they charge up there, $300 an hour ?

if the engine side is now working well and if the generator itself is good, is there a way to convert the regulation to a more modern system ?

this may sound crazy, but if all alternator work the same then couldn't you regulate the output with an electronic regulator ? ny norpro 18 uses a Marathon Electric regulator, little electronic box (I have a spare, $100+).

maybe if they contact them with the alternator specifics they can recommend a voltage regulator that would work with your alternator

http://www.marathonelectric.com/gene...c/avr_conn.asp

and if the alternator is shot, it could be replaced... after all, the engine doens't care what alternator it's connected to, the vice versa. as long as it gets 1800 rpm...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

10. Re: Why do I need a new Generator - Part II

Naw, it's actually very cheap up here compared to when I lived in Ft Lauderdale and W.Palm Beach.
    The 3 times I had the genset worked on was other things which were fixed right and the first time. I did have them check for rpm and voltage but DIDN'T ask about frequency.... (I kinda figured that to be the case after reading all the replies earlier in this thread!!!)
    Pascal, have been playing A LOT with google earth, know Biscayne Bay so where is your marina at? Think Ang said South of Rickenbacker but see several in that area.
    I can see my boat very well when I zoom in on it up here !
    One of the main differences between Jacksonville and Miami is you must know and speak spanish down there, I have to learn redneck up here.......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com