Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting historical note re fiberglass gas tanks

As I have just today become a Norton Commando motorcycle owner again - (sold my '71 Commando in 1978), I was doing some internet research. The early Commandos, like my old one, had fiberglass gas tanks. In 1970 the company found that the fiberglass resin was breaking down for some reason. After a bit of research they determined that the resin was not compatible with "certain additives" used in gasoline. They then (slowly) switched over to steel tanks.

So this problem was noted at least 35 years ago. It's interesting that it apparently hadn't affected boats until now.

Re: Interesting historical note re fiberglass gas tanks

I ran race gas in Norton fiberglass tanks for years with no problem, and race gas has all kinds of aromatics in it. (they won't tell you what's in it, but plenty of toluene for sure, maybe some benzene, and probably some alchohols as well, it's a witch's brew)
    Perhaps Norton used epoxy resins? I don't know, and I bet they didn't either.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

3. Re: Interesting historical note re fiberglass gas tanks

Congrats on the "new" Norton. I never knew those things had fiberglass tanks. If you weren't so far away you could ride in FL with some of us other Harley riding Hatt owners and feel the wind in your hair (no helmet laws).

Some Harley owners are stuck-up when it comes to "other" bikes, but I've never seen anybody disrespect a Norton. Some even dis me for riding a Screamin' Eagle V-Rod cause it's watercooled. I tell them they might like it if they ever got to see anything but its rear tire.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Bravissimo !! My first bike was an 850 interstate comando (74) with the Dunstall kit (1120 cc?) she ran an 11 second 1320 and then kept going at 130 into the turns!! Easy on that gear box-- its out of the 500 twin!! 1up and 3 down on the right?? ws

Bill, I think Randy has the new water-cooled Harley V-Rod. The engine was co-developed by Porsche due to their extensive experience with air-cooled engines and updating them to water cooled technology. Pretty cool bike, IMHO. I've owned and enjoyed several Harley's over the years, but I have yet to ride the V-Rod. It's gotten great reviews.

6. Re: Interesting historical note re fiberglass gas tanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt
    Bill, I think Randy has the new water-cooled Harley V-Rod. The engine was co-developed by Porsche due to their extensive experience with air-cooled engines and updating them to water cooled technology. Pretty cool bike, IMHO. I've owned and enjoyed several Harley's over the years, but I have yet to ride the V-Rod. It's gotten great reviews.
    Right you are "son". This is my second V-Rod, the first was an '03 anniversary model. My new one is a Sreamin' Eagle which is a punched out version. I had it dyno tuned with a Harley Race Tuner and added Screamin' Eagle 16GA Double Barrel exhaust. It's making 115HP at the rear wheel and sounds wicked at about 10 grand. Try that with your air-cooled push-rod Hog. I've had other Harley's too, but this thing is so much more refined it aint even funny. I'm surprised they haven't installed this engine in a touring bike yet.

Harley owners are very much like Porsche owners were when they went to water-cooled engines. I got snubbed by hard core Porsche guys when I bought my first 928. The 928 was faster, smoother, prettier (in my opinion) than any non-turbo Porsches ever built. Now as then, I don't really care what other guys think. I'm buying this stuff for me. Twenty five years later, nobody seems to miss the air-cooled Porsches.
    Last edited by FREEBIRD; 09-13-2006 at 09:05 PM.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Aw dem jap bikes are all da same- my old 74 with a 4 gear takes a man to ride it. No stinkin' hydraulic clutch so you dont tweek them purdy fingernails--Mods need to put a limp wrist emoticon on the right for this thread --->>>>>>>> GIMME PUSH RODS OR GIMME DEATH Ever see one of them NAZIs or japs ridin ruff with a Thompson blazin'away--hell, just the roar scared most of 'em into surrender--That made me hafta GTAS ws

Now I know whAt this ethanol gas thing is. I just fueled our 36C,Unity" at Cape May. The sign on the pump said 10% ethanol. I could actually smell the alchahol in that stuff. In the Detroit area, they have yet to add that crap to our gasoline.

Paul Dunstall's big bore kit was 810cc. He sold some "complete" bikes with the kit already installed, along with his double disc front brakes and exaust/bodywork. The factory 850's ('73-76) were 828cc. I road raced plenty of them, and of course had the engines apart many many times.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I may be off on the numbers, but I had the Norton-Villiers dealer here build me the biggest brand new 850 they could-- I dont recall if it had a stroked crank or not--I know the gearbox only lasted a month or so and they honored the warranty. Had the dunstall pipes and tricked out the AMAL (anal) carbs.The color scheme for '74 was white with a blue and red stripe and I believe it had the dual discs on the front--NON electric start--The Lucas system was pretty poor with a zener diode for a regulator-- THAT also failed from a dirty ground, but what a blaster for an 18 year old kid to have and live to tell about it!!
    Moved up to a 112(?) C.I. HD stroker after that. Still luv that old 74CI shovel tho-- ws