Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 110 davit winch

110 davit winch

Well my Golo davit winch is acting up(switch was full of water) so I am thinking it is just as easy to get a new one. I am lifting a 13' Whaler w/25hp motor(1000lbs?). When it comes to winches some have lifting power and some have pulling power. Well....a davit pulls a cable over a roller that lifts a boat so how much power does one really need?

I found this one and think it should be plenty but I could use some insight.

Winch,Electric,120vac
    Electric Winch, 120VAC, Max Pull Single Line 2700 Lb, Spur Type Gearing, Full Load Empty Reel Line Speed 3.5 FPM, No Load Empty Reel 6 FPM, Full Load Full Reel Line Speed 7 FPM, No Load Full Reel 18 FPM, Full Load Amps 6, Length 11 5/16 In, Width 8 3/4 In, Height 8 In, Wire Rope 25 Ft x 7/32 In, Power In and Out Characteristics, Gear Ratio 570 To 1, Remote Switch Location Grainger Item # 5AA20
    Price (ea.) $390.00
    Brand DAYTON
    Mfr. Model # SA9015AC-NC
    Ship Qty. 1
    Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
    Ship Weight (lbs.) 29.8
    Usually Ships** Today
    Catalog Page No. 2108

Re: 110 davit winch

You can get all the parts you need from Cordem . They are still in business and probably still make the same winch. I rebuilt one of mine in the begining of the season. It was 25 years old and in two hours you can rebuild and paint and re-install. I thought of going to another winch but then you have a mounting issue also and some throw-away winch for which you can't get parts. Hatt used good companies for all the equipment and this Golo/Cordem is no different . You can find them here http://www.cordem.com/index.html. Good people to work with also.......Pat

Hi Doc, I have a golo winch, suspect it was installed new in 1972 on my 53" MY. The 9 pin male/female coupler got crushed for the second time between the davit and the ss rail around the fly bridge. Six or seven years ago I was able to get the plugs repaired .......the guy went out of business and I can't seem to locate anyone now. Any idea who might be able to repair it? Also considering a different improved set up ...... interested in your comments abut rebuilding your Golo. Did yu get into new wiring ?
    Harwood Burritt aka Woody

Hello, .............which way did you go. I'm trying to repair/replace my golo, crushed the remote cord connection to the motor. ?
    Harwood Burritt aka Woody

OOOOF, just when I got that bi#$% of a job off my mind.......I bought a new junction box and remote from Cordem(no local venders)($400). It only comes with a standard 110v plug so save your old one as the 3 prong one is special and hard to come by. After repair I lifted the boat and the drum collapsed 1/2 way up. It rusted from the inside. Went to disassemble and found the drum was rusted solid to the shaft. Spent hours trying to get it appart but it was not to be so I cut it appart and ordered all the pins, bearings and seals plus a new drum and shaft($600). Put it all back together and it works good. As long as the motor holds up I will be happy.....I guess all said and done I could not find a winch that could do the job for substantally less money. I could however, have saved myself 30+ hours of work and bought a new one.......

The remote cord is nothing special, you should be able to fix or have fixed at mast any electrical shop.....
    Last edited by thoward; 07-09-2007 at 12:45 PM.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Quote Originally Posted by thoward View Post
    Well my Golo davit winch is acting up(switch was full of water) so I am thinking it is just as easy to get a new one. I am lifting a 13' Whaler w/25hp motor(1000lbs?).
    I was looking at Whaler's specs recently (http://www.continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/13/), as I've been considering a 13 -- I think your weight should be <550 lbs. The boat alone should be around 350, motor 100, and then fuel weight plus whatever else you keep in it.
    -- Paul

It is about 525 lbs loaded. That post was from a year ago when we first got it and the Whaler has been a great boat. The 25hp is a good match and I can float in some pretty skinny water. It rides like a turd in choppy water and is pretty wet but it is a great platform for flats fishing, diving and exploring. Plus, we had a 15'er as a kid so it brings back some fun memories.....
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I'm with you -- I've got a 11' Zodiac w/25hp Yamaha 2-stroke, and I chose that rig mostly for weight issues on the foredeck of my 45c SerII. After using it plenty over the last four years, I'm starting to think the Whaler might be a better fit for my cruising.

Tough choice -- the Zodi is going to be the undisputed rough water champ, but the Whaler will fish better and have more interior room. I've had plenty of experience with both. The kids will probably tip the balance, because they're agitating LOUDLY for wheel steering and electric start!
    -- Paul

9. Re: 110 davit winch

We have a 13' whaler with a 30 hp Yamaha (electric start) that we store on the hardtop, which is one of the few good things of not having a flybridge.

We have a blast with it all the time.

Let the 3 oldest grandkids run it (oh with ME onboard mind you) and they are getting "pretty good" at docking it....

Use if for fishing, cruising the canals and it's also powerful enought for me to pull one of the kids on a tube. Did replace the 6 gal gastank with 12 gal one.

No problem using my golo electric davit to raise/lower the boat.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com