Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Inverter endorsement

Yea there will be if its running something, but your alternators will be putting it back in if they are connected up like that.

Randy, I'm not sure what you're asking, but an inverter pulls power from a battery bank to power your fridge, etc. Now, If you hook your inverter up to your engine starting batteries, you would be charging those batteries via the engine alternators while underway and could probably run like that indefinitely. Otherwise, if you hooked up your inverter to a separate battery bank just for the inverter, they would not be charged by your engines while underway therefore they would be depleted before long and you would need to start your generator to power the battery charger to recharge your inverter battery bank. I hope that covers what you were asking!

3. Re: Inverter endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt
    Randy, I'm not sure what you're asking, but an inverter pulls power from a battery bank to power your fridge, etc. Now, If you hook your inverter up to your engine starting batteries, you would be charging those batteries via the engine alternators while underway and could probably run like that indefinitely. Otherwise, if you hooked up your inverter to a separate battery bank just for the inverter, they would not be charged by your engines while underway therefore they would be depleted before long and you would need to start your generator to power the battery charger to recharge your inverter battery bank. I hope that covers what you were asking!
    Perhaps I did not make clear that I would be in fact connecting the invereter to a battery(s) connected to the engine/alternator. I believe you have confirmed that this would work indefinitely, and that's what my thinking was. Thanks for the confirmation.

PS Traveler knew what I meant, and he's a yankee!
    Last edited by FREEBIRD; 08-17-2006 at 01:56 PM.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

4. Re: Inverter endorsement

Hey Traveler45C,

Did you see my post "Hatts Off.......". Looks like I won't be headed your way any time soon. Want to load up some of that "yankee beer" and go crusin' down south with me?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

Nope not yet. Sorry to hear you won't be making a stop by here. I guess I can take everyone on my dock off "ALERT" now...

6. Re: Inverter endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler 45C
    Nope not yet. Sorry to hear you won't be making a stop by here. I guess I can take everyone on my dock off "ALERT" now...
    Why's that? Cause the immigration police ain't coming neither?

Pascal,

The 36 hour test was primarily running just the fridge while the boat was out having it's bottom painted. It was actually out a little longer than that.

Last week we were out and the batts ran the inverter from around 6PM to around 1PM the next day with the fridge, micro, stereo, and TV being operated "normally.

In both cases, the Batts (starboard bank) never dropped to 32V per the meter.

Bill,
    I mounted it in the forward right corner of the genny room, just forward of the battery box. I thought about relocating it to a cooler location - maybe in the forward compartment on the other side of the bulkhead. But it seems happy!

The attached pic is the only one I have of the genny area. The white arrow points toward where the inverter is located but it is not visible. I meant to take more pics during the installation but I never did. This was the first (and only) Oh well...
    Attached Images

mike, how many AH is your battery bank?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by FREEBIRD
    Why's that? Cause the immigration police ain't coming neither?
    No, because YOU won't be coming. We all can relax now...

Pascal,

I'm embarrased to admit that I don't know! The tops of the batteries don't have any label. I can see that there is a label on the side of the batteries when peering with a flashlight between the side of the battery and the battery box but there is only about 1/8" of clearance and I can't read anything on the label. I don't feel inclined to lift one out and look at it! It is the oem configuration though - 4 8V batts. I'll try to see if I can determine the rating wtihout actually lifting one out!