Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: Cummins QSB vs. QSC vs. QSM

Just make sure that all the electrical connections are completely waterproof on the wiring harness, and I would price a spare computer module to keep on board if you go offshore or travel to exotic locations, like further than your authorized cummins dealer. I think that the cummins is probably the most perfected of the new digital engines. I have not looked at their wiring harness, but I would certainly make sure that all plugs have some type of silicon grease potting to stave off corrosion. I must just be a paranoid. Maybe one day I will untie the mule from the back of my car, and everybody will stop honking at me.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: Cummins QSB vs. QSC vs. QSM

[QUOTE=Boss Lady]Just make sure that all the electrical connections are completely waterproof on the wiring harness, and I would price a spare computer module to keep on board if you go offshore or travel to exotic locations, like further than your authorized cummins dealer.QUOTE]

That is an excellent suggestion and I will make sure that idea is given serious consideration. Indeed, this new 34' will be towed behind the big boat to many exotic locations as the 31' has for seven years. Plans are to go back through the Panama Canal and spend a season fishing in Costa Rica at Los Suenos in '08 so an extra module would be a nice spare to have on board.

THANK YOU!

The QSB's and QSC's are having a few issues, you may want to wait a whiletill they get all the bugs out of them. Plus they are a tad pricey. the 330b mechanical engines are still availible.
    JW

REALLY? What issues are you hearing of specifically? I hear that they are BULLETPROOF in the Dodge trucks, so I wonder what's going on with the marinized version? I know the 330B mechanicals are good, but our 250B mechanicals are SO noisy and so smokey that we were really hoping to get away from that since the commonrail technology was here and proven (I thought).

I think I remember someone here on this forum mentioning that Cummins is selling the 330B's for something cheap like $16k each? Is that true? If so, the noise and smoke could be muffled from all the cash still in the bank account....

Thirdhatt, I've spent a lot of time reading about the "B" series on boatdiesel.com. The 4B had a few issues concerning injectors, noise, smoke, vibration. It doesn't have the following like the 6B. I was at my local Cummins dealer the other day and saw a pair of factory rebuilt 330's, very impressive, nearly all accessories are new. They come with a better warranty than my new 330's. In hindsight I should have gone the rebuilt way.

Yes you can get the 330b's as remans they are about 17k. But your not going to be able to have them in a new boat because of the new epa rules.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

here's a link to a great illustration of the workings of common rail engines:
    http://www.marlinmag.com/article.jsp?ID=36671.

(Pretty sure this baby will work on weekends and holidays)l

Capt'n Bill

does anyone know who i can talk to about getting reman'ed 330b's? i'll start a new thread on the topic so as not to hijack - thanks,

chris maroney

Images

Tony at Seaboard Marine can help you witn Cummins reman engines wherever you are located.

Richard