Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boat sinks during fishing tournament

Another eventful White Marlin Open is in the books. We didn't catch the winning fish but it could have been worse!

It was sad to see the beautiful 58' Paul Mann Custom 'Dream Catcher' barely sticking up out of the water late Wednesday. By the time we saw her on the way back in from fishing all day only the tip of the bow and very front portion of the bridge was visable. She may have rolled during the day because all of the antennas, riggers and gear on the hardtop had been ripped off.

We were up at the bar with the owner the night before. Super nice guy from Jersey. He was telling us about his new boat that is being built and how this would be the last WMO with this one. These guys are hardcore. Not only did they go over the side that morning and have to spend the rest of the fishing day offshore onboard the rescue boats. But they were able to arrange for a another boat to come in and take them out to finish the tournament!

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/651/127759/

Re: Boat sinks during fishing tournament

Wow! Any word on the cause of the sinking?

Breaks my heart to see images like that.

Wonder what could have caused it? Weather looks fair. I can only speculate a failed thru hull or stiking something like a submerged cargo-tainer.

what a waste. glad to see no one was hurt.

5. Re: Boat sinks during fishing tournament

Hmmmm..... if other reports (on other boards) are accurate, the rules of the tournament specify that you may not clear the sea buoy before 5:00 AM.

30nm out at 5:30 eh? I wonder how dark it was when they hit whatever they hit (assuming it was impact damage)

I don't get tournament fishing. I mean, I understand the pressure put on man and machine when you're out there trolling a promising-looking rip, don't have the money fish in the box, and you know - one more run and you're coming into to make the weigh on the pins. Or, conversely, you might have the money fish on, but the extra hour it will take you to land it means you run in on the pins. Ok, I get that. You risk machinery for money, IF you hook the winning fish.

But what's this "let's see how fast she goes - in the dark" stuff about?

Perhaps some day I will understand it.

But today definitely won't be that day.

BTW there's a video up on the web of the sinking and rescue. There's something missing from every one of the crew's bodies on that boat - guess what that might be?
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

To date I am unclear of the cause. Some say she hit something other suggest that she is glass over wood and just came apart. She must having been moving along at a pretty good clip because the first distress call was made about 0530 and she was about 30 miles offshore. Tournament boats couldn't clear the seabouy until 0500.

We should hear more over the next week.

7. Re: Boat sinks during fishing tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis

BTW there's a video up on the web of the sinking and rescue. There's something missing from every one of the crew's bodies on that boat - guess what that might be?
    Could it be "coozies" or empty beer cans perhaps (could explain the problem with sinking)?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

8. Re: Boat sinks during fishing tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Capten
    To date I am unclear of the cause. Some say she hit something other suggest that she is glass over wood and just came apart. She must having been moving along at a pretty good clip because the first distress call was made about 0530 and she was about 30 miles offshore. Tournament boats couldn't clear the seabouy until 0500.

We should hear more over the next week.
    Well, if she was 30nm offshore at 0530 and couldn't clear the buoy until 0500 then either she's capable of 50kts (ha!) or the rules weren't quite being followed.

This assumes the 30 mile (statute?) report is correct - being that its a USCG report, I tend to believe it is.

Its hard to argue with time and distance......
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Borrowed from another board. Recap from the Jarret Bay Express 'Kirsten' who docked behind us during the tournament.......

"Dream Catcher - we were there !!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't often post but I thought I would give my perspective as we were first to arrive. My crew was napping on the way out, I was running the boat out to give the others some rest. We left from OC just after Dream Catcher who was docked at Sunset with us. We were about an hour into our run near the chicken bone area heading to the Baltimore. Peter Dubose (Former Pirates Cove Charter Captain) was fishing with Brian and I for the tourney. Peter and I heard a call go out for help on one of the NC channels used by several of the offshore boats in NC from the Dream Catcher asking for help as they were taking on water. They put the TD's on the air. We were 3.5 miles from them and changed course, and went on them as fast as the boat could go, about 36 knots. We were the first to arrive on her, and coming in Brian and Peter readied a throw ring, some lines and pulled our transom ladder out of the lazzerette. Coming in they were sending up flares and still under way about 10 knots heading towards the beach, however the bow of the boat was clearly digging in with the motors smoking. We chatted with Jamie Diller to get some details and rode next to her for a couple of minutes when they stopped. Called in her position and status to Coast Guard Eastern Shore on channel 16, then they switched us to channel 22 to work the incident. CG dispatched a chopper out of AC and a cutter. I will tell you that it has been reported that Kirsten took on the Dream Catcher's passengers, but that is not true, we we first there, and did out part but that credit goes to Sea Toy and Fighting Lady out of NC. By this time 4 NC charter boats - Outer Banks area came in to assist. I established the Coast Guard contact and served as the communications contact with Coast Guard Eastern Shore while Sea Toy, Tuna Duck, Fighting Lady, and the Release (All NC Charter Boats) came in to assist. Mr Diller was removed right away with life jacket on when Fightning Lady backed transom to transom and they passed him over and then moved away. The balance of the crew stayed on trying to save her. Mike Bennett went into the water with a mask trying to find the entry point for the water. He found it up front and crawled back on board. They had pumps running, tried to stuff pillows in the hole and made every effort to save her. I will tell you that crew showed good judgement with alot of bravery. My hat is off to Capt Bull of Sea Toy who made one of the most skillful moves I have ever seen in 3ft North East Seas with no regard to possibly damaging his brand new Paul Spencer. He dropped his riggers, backed in transom to transom and removed the balance of the crew, holding the boat within inches in a bad sea (no one got wet) when it became clear that the boat was unstable and could possibly roll. This all elapsed for about 30 minutes and once Bull removed the crew the boat slowly went down with just the bow and hard top visable. Yes the radar was still spinning, and in fact the radio keyed and stayed open on channel 22. I asked Coast Guard AC to contact Eastern Shore Coast Guard to switch the incident to channel 12. That is about all I know, not sure what they hit, nor did I ask, however several boats hit lumber in the tourney tearing up props. Once the crew was safe and the coast guard chopper arrived, we contaced Jamie Diller on was on Sea Toy at this time and asked if there was anything else we could do, then contaced the CG and let them know that Sea Toy was taking over. We got lines in about 1 hour late, but would do it again because I know you all would do it for us. The Dream Catcher crew deserves a ton of credit, they made good choices in an emergency, stayed calm and most of all got off safely.

Walt"

Interesting Paul. Thanks for sharing that.