Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: SR2 Converted to Office / Library / Guest Room

Threads like this are dangerous.

It's amazing what can be rationalized after seeing such a wonderful finished product without having to see the steps/pain/costs of getting there.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Thanks all! I'm pretty happy with it for sure!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

What did you use on the floor.
    Chris

Nice job! I wonder, though, what this does as far as resale. It would be a plus for some buyers and a minus for others. I, for instance, would love to have an office like that, but I just can't sacrifice the extra berth.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The floor is just oak flooring that was from Home Depot....the only trick was trying to match where I removed the original night stand (as there was just subfloor under there) to the oak flooring I had in there previously...as you can see from pic of floor it is slightly noticeable...I wish I could have got it it to match just a bit better.
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

6. Re: SR2 Converted to Office / Library / Guest Room

Just as I was about to order headliner material....

Damn, I want that ceiling. Did you do it yourself? how thick is the maple? What are the runners between the sheets of maple, teak? I really want to pull this one off.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

The runners are mahoghany...the maple inlays are about 1/8 inch thick. I built a grid network behind it all to hold the ceiling in place.

I did the demolition and the finish work, I had a cabinetmaker build all the built-ins and install. If anyone would like him name I'm happy to provide!

Yeah, in terms of resale I guess it depends on buyer...although there is no reason why you couldn't put a piece of foam on top of the desktop and use it as extra sleeping if required...but you can still use the daybed on the other side for someone, so you are really only losing 1 single bunk as is.

In retrospect what I REALLY should have done was created the daybed in such a manner that those cushions along rear actually slid down, and the single daybed trundled out (with supports sliding out from where drawers are) turning from a daybed / sofa into a nice full / queen size bed....now that would have been something!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

If you ever get out to San diego I have this project..................
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Looks great and you did a beautiful job. What about the wheels on the chair, does it have brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by rangerscott275
    In retrospect what I REALLY should have done was created the daybed in such a manner that those cushions along rear actually slid down, and the single daybed trundled out (with supports sliding out from where drawers are) turning from a daybed / sofa into a nice full / queen size bed....now that would have been something!
    I seem to remember past threads regarding this topic. Many have tried to get a queen berth in the mid stateroom either by joining the two twins or throwing a piece of plywood between them. I never really liked the idea that much until I saw what you did. Maybe this does have potential.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI