Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stabilizers & speed

Hey you MY and YF guys --

I've been seeing more boats with stabs in boat yards, lately, and I got thinking (uh oh); IF I ever got a boat that could have room for stabilizers, do you take much of a hit in speed after they're on?

Seems like they must add drag. Does anyone have experience of being the one who put them on (Naiads seem to be the common ones I always hear about) and checking speed before & after? Just curious. Everything else about them sounds great.
    -- Paul

Re: stabilizers & speed

I'm told 1/2 to a knot slower with the fins.

1/2 to 1 knot speed penalty sure sounds like a bargain, assuming you can stomach the $45k+ cost for installation!

I am curious about this as well, but was going to save the ? until I was ready to move up. I have seen some series 1 60C Hatts advertised with fins, and even on some smaller older models. On the 60C enclosed bridge I can understand it as the COG is higher and the roll moment likely significantly affected by the weight.
    I think I would prefer a boat w/o them...but would like to know if anyone has experience about the 53c to 60C ride and performance with and w/o fins. I know that these are not speed demons, just curious about the pros and cons. I don't know how much maintenance they require either, but that is another reason I would prefer to do without them....to keep things as simple (if you can use that word about at 40+ton boat) as possible.

I've heard from a reputable source that fins subtract 2+ knots on 60C's (and work great).
    I have no clue about 53C's.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Thanks Dave. What kind of numbers do you see for cruise with the fins. Did you add them....curious to know the difference in ride before and after? How about maintaining them?
    I want to look at a 60C for sale in SD when she returns from Catalina at the end of the month. As I mentioned in the 1271 post, not ready yet to make the big leap...but the 60C looks like a fantastic boat and I want to take the opportunity to see one. Thanks for your help.
    Paul
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

I don't have fins on my boat, she's an open bridge, doesn't need 'em. I know the boat that's on a cruise to the channel islands.......you won't be dissapointed.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I just saw your pics...Ohana is a beauty! The pics of the 60C on yachtworld look great. It looks like she has been well maintained and updated, at least what is shown anyway. Did you look at enclosed bridge versions before settling on the open bridge? Any bugs you have found or things to investigate when I start to seriously look? I read in another thread (after a search) that some bulkhead rot in the ER is not uncommon, and also to check on the integrity of the salon deck supports....thought on these?
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

I have Niads on my 48MY. I couldn't say on speed difference with and without because they were on the boat when I got it. But the difference in running with them turned off compared to on is very noticable. With them on in a beam sea the boat doesn't move, very solid. Off she rolls. She has a rounded entry displacement hull, so the stabilizers really help.
    Chris

Paul45c,
    I've got Naiad's on my 43 dc and while I can't tell you if there is any speed difference due to purchasing the boat with the units installed, I can tell you for fact that Hatteras and other 43 DC users I've talked to state this boat should cruise at 16 kt. My boat cruises at 16 kt all day long with the units active. Also, the wife knows when I'm running without them active and promptly tells me to "put them back on"

Most likely this is the last boat I'll purchase (yeah, I know the story..) but if I did purchase another Hatteras it would have Naiad's. Period.

But be prepared for sticker shock if you want to add these units. When looking for this model boat I interviewed a 43 DC without Naiad's and after inquiring a dealer here in MI to have them installed was told 45-50K. I'm not trying to scare you away, just wanted to share that bit of info so you know up front. I'm told there are other dealers that will do it for cheaper. I did talk
    with a FL dealer but the price diff was only 3.5k
    Mike Stailey
    1978 43 DC/FB