Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

hidden fault in a hose

I was on the first major trip with the new boat. I checked all the hoses for rot and weakness but missed the hidden fault. The transmission pressure gague hose had rotted the steel braid under the connector and let loose after a 6 hour cruise through hell ( squalls ). Luckily the man upstairs looks out for hatteras owners. The fitting seperated and we lost the tranny at the fuel dock that evening. replaced the hose and filled the tranny up and it works fine. Put 8 hours on it and it ran flawlessly. The moral of the story. never trust any 40 year old hose even if it looks perfect.

2. Re: hidden fault in a hose

Also, make sure you get them all.

There were two on my 6V92s behind the oil pressure sending blocks that were original on my boat. Hidden quite well.

How do I know? The tags from the manufacturer were still on them!
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: hidden fault in a hose

About a year ago I recall a discussion about copper lines vs. reinforced braided hose. I still trust the copper lines over the flexible.

The only weakness I have really seen from Hatteras is their use of long hoses where a heavy PVC pipe with 2 short rubber hoses coud be used (seawater hoses) and long flexible fuel lines where more copper could be used.

What kind of hose was it? I'll be looking at mine more closely now!

4. Re: hidden fault in a hose

This is one of those ticking time bombs. The kind of thing that we know we shouldn't do but, put off anyway. If you know that something is original, it probably should be replaced. rubber hoses are Murphy's favorite target. Especially the armored ones that make it hard to determine if they have lost their flexibility. Heat and age are the enemy. I replace pencil zincs in the engines early, because they are way cheaper than the components they protect. Preventing problems is cheaper than fixing them. Nothing worse than having a problem in a hot engine room during rough weather. I like to fix my problems at the dock before they occur, and I can really enjoy a beer and at my own pace. Plus if I feel particularly sorry, I can hire someone else to do it. Like replacing 8D batteries, it was worth it to not have to fight those bad boys out and back in. It sure was tough, drinkin that Heiniken on the dock!
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: hidden fault in a hose

the hose was the steel braid in a rubber sheath transmission pressure gague hose.