My 41DC went through a total refit in 1993 which included among many other things a new air conditioned hard enclosure of the cockpit, new FWC 7.4 MerCruisers, and the Westerbeke genny (actually a 7kw, not 7.5 as previously listed). She's a one-of-a-kind freshwater only beauty, and she's for sale here locally since purchasing the 58TC (wish it were in half the shape of my 41). I think I have a buyer, but if that falls through, look for her on this site soon. Like you, I'm not sure why playing with the stop switch will keep the genny running, but it does until it ovespeeds and kicks the breaker. I have the owners manual and it talks about testing the various shutdowns, but doesn't tell you how to do it unless I missed it. I'll try your method and see what happens. Not sure how that isolates the particular shutdown though. Could be the governor, but the previous owner of 13 years tells me he replaced the governor at about 800hrs, it now shows 1300. Wouldn't think it would need another one so soon, but who knows. Thanks for the reply.