Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Davit Capacity on 1974 58TC

Just purchased a '74 58TC which has an electric davit on the bridge. The dingy cradle appears to match a Whaler, but the seller didn't know the capacity of the davit (thought it was 500lbs., seriously doubt that). The dingy that came with the boat is a dinky little 8' hard plastic job with a 3.5HP Merc which I will replace with something more substantial. I'm considering a 12-15 RIB, but may go with a 13 Whaler that's for sale here locally. The davit is of pipe construction with a 110v electric winch. The boat is still in Florida, and I haven't measured the diameter of the pipe. If memory serves, it's probably about 4" in diameter, and it anchors through the bridge deck down into the upper salon deck, so it looks pretty stout. Was there a "standard" davit of this type on this vintage Hatt, or does anybody know how to determine the lift capacity of this unit?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: Davit Capacity on 1974 58TC

It is probably the original pipe davit made by Nautical Structures. They still make it and it is on their web site. Here is the link: http://www.nautical-structures.com/tubularyacht.htm

It is probably a 600lb davit. That is what is needed to lift an 11' Whaler with motor.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: Davit Capacity on 1974 58TC

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the website you listed. Maybe the seller wasn't that far off after all on his guess! Sure looks like it would lift more than that though.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

Well, maybe it's the 800lb one then. There should be a tag on it somewhere.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Original davit was 800 lb capacity. The optional tender was the 10' Boston Whaler. I would expect that a 10' or 13' Whaler would fit the cradle. However with a 13' Whaler and engine you are pushing the weight limit.

My 1965 50' motoryacht had the original davit and a 13' Whaler when I bought it 11 years ago. The davit's capacity is 800, as stated. It WILL lift the whaler and 40hp (or so) engine. Just be sure the boat is relatively empty and NO WATER inside.

The previous owner tried to lift it after the cover blew off and it filled with water. The davit had a slight bend to it and the capacity of it was compromised a bit. I guess he was lucky the boat did not fall into the aft deck!

K

7. Re: Davit Capacity on 1974 58TC

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm pretty sure I just purchased a tender this afternoon that will have me re-thinking my current davit. I ran across a steal on a 14' Whaler "Rage" jet drive that should make a dandy toy. It was a one owner freshwater boat out of GA. I'm still researching numbers, but according to NADA the boat weighs 1,100 lbs. Maybe I'll get lucky and find my davit is something other than what it appears. Otherwise, I may go to stern davits for the Whaler, and use the bridge davit to hoist my Harley! Am I the consumate redneck or what? Is it proper to have a Harley on your Hatteras? Hey, they are both American icons, and they both begin with "H", so what the hell!

Same dilemma here. I finally decided that I like to have an "occaissional" cocktail, or two, while in my favorite ports. That being said, the Harley stays in the garage when the boat is in use.

Boy, so many toys....decisions, decisions!!

K

9. Re: Davit Capacity on 1974 58TC

Yeah I know what you mean. I too will have one or six occasional barley pops while on board, but I NEVER ride my scooter when I've had a drink. However, just to be on the safe side, I'll install a lock on the power cord for the davit if I decide to haul it onboard. It sure would come in handy when crusing though, so I think I'll go for it. I'll just strap a big life jacket on it. Hey, anybody know where I can get an autopilot for a Screamin' Eagle V-Rod?

P.S. What the heck are you doing up so early?

10. Re: Davit Capacity on 1974 58TC

Just a quick update. Looks like I got lucky with the 14 Whaler working with my davit. I was able to reach the folks at Boston Whaler this am, and they told me the 14 Rage weighs 750lbs, not 1,100 as shown in NADA. I guess now I'll have to get rid of the table and chairs on the bridge to make some Hog room!