Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8V71TI Cooling System Cleaning

I want to get ready to start a Great Circle Route cruise in 2006. Over the winter I'm going to clean the cooling system on my 8V71TI's. I plan to have the heat exchangers boiled out at a radiator shop, take off the intercoolers and check for fouling, and take off the shower heads and clean them. The gear oil coolers are under the heat exchanger and don't block raw water flow, so I think I'll leave them alone. That leaves the engine blocks.

What can you use to clean the engine block cooling system channels? The engine oil coolers are part of the captive water system too. I'd guess that automotive radiator flush is safe but not effective. DD sells one that you have to drain the engine block, not just the heat exchanger and elbow. I have heard the OSPHO should not be used in the block.

Suggestions on other things to check and do would be appreciated too!

Doug Shuman

2. Re: 8V71TI Cooling System Cleaning

The twin-pack that Detroit has for this is the proper solution to the problem. I would not use anything else for cleaning the block proper, as there are seals and metal compatability issues, and I wouldn't fool with that.

Re: 8V71TI Cooling System Cleaning

And no Ospho for the fresh water side, raw water only.

4. Re: 8V71TI Cooling System Cleaning

Correct.

I THINK the Ospho would be safe on the fresh water side, BUT I AM NOT SURE, and I would NOT take the chance.

No risk on the salt water side. BIG risks on the fresh water.

Second, on the fresh water side, the big problem is likely to be silicate drop-out related - or oil contamination related. NEITHER of these is affected by Ospho - at all. The only solution to THOSE problems is caustic (the exact opposite of what Ospho is), and of course you cannot mix them.

Get the Twinpack and use it.

BTW, the big problem on the fresh water side is likely to be found in the oil cooler. The only real fix for that is to pull the cooler and have it cleaned out of the boat. A clogged oil cooler is extremely bad news, as it will lead to very high oil temperatures which can result in oil breakdown and resulting severe engine damage. This is one cooler that many people NEVER pull....

Doug,

What is your plan for the Great Circle? Which route are you taking and when do you plan to leave? How long are you planning and how many legs? I have made most of the trip on several occasions. I don't have any log books or notes, but I do have a video of the Chicago to Aqua leg and my memories(which may or may not be completely accurate). Let me know if you have any questions. It's a fun trip with alot to see. The latest issue of Passagemaker has a good article on this trip.

Sky Cheney

I would send the oil coolers with the heat exch. and be sure to have them all pressure tested prior to installation. The shop should be able to performed these test for you at small cost. James

P.S. NOt much to worry about the blocks heavyly pluged on yachts not used as commercial engines. More harm can accure with the o'rings et el.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    Doug,

What is your plan for the Great Circle? Which route are you taking and when do you plan to leave? How long are you planning and how many legs? I have made most of the trip on several occasions. I don't have any log books or notes, but I do have a video of the Chicago to Aqua leg and my memories(which may or may not be completely accurate). Let me know if you have any questions. It's a fun trip with alot to see. The latest issue of Passagemaker has a good article on this trip.

Sky Cheney
    Sky,

We're going to leave Chicago in October 2006 and will do the route counter-clockwise via the Illinois, Ohio, and the Tenn-Tom to Mobile, around the Keys, up the intercoastal waterway, in the Hudson, up to the St Lawrence seaway, through the Trent-Severn and the North Channel (a wonderful place) and Lake Michigan back home.

I expect it'll take about 10 months because we'll stop and play at a lot of places along the way. We may also leave the boat at a marina and fly home for a week every now and then, so I won't do an exact cruise plan. There are lots of books, etc. on the Great Circle route, but if I come up with questions, I'll put them here.

Thanks,

Doug

When you get down this way (Pensacola), be sure to give us a yell if your gonna’ stop around here. Are you gonna’ be on-line while your cruising?

Are you sure you can get through the Trent-Severn with water levels this low?

Traveler - Yes I'll have internet access via laptop and cell phone modem. It's free nights & weekends, just a little slow.

SKY - Who knows wht the water levels will be in July of 2007? There's a website that provides updates water levels for every lake daily and trends, so I'll watch it. While they're "low" currently lake Huron is 1/2 ft above chart datum. Since the controlling level for the Trent-Severn is a 5 ft. draft and we draw 4' 4", we should be OK. They control the lock pools and channel depth with the dams, but the lakes and rivers on the Trent are more natural. I expect we'll be OK. Maybe low water'll help me with the 22 ft. fixed bridge so I don't have to take my radar arch down!

Doug
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 09-24-2005 at 12:56 AM.