Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rudders

Rudders

Does anyone know how the rudders should be set on a 1988 41c? As far as dead on,toed in,toed out
    thank you

Re: Rudders

Un-like your car where toe-in makes a difference, Rudder toe in/out just keeps the rudders and linkage from chattering.
    On a 41, I would start around 1/4" toe in total between the front edge and aft edge. Increasing till all chatter is removed.
    3/4" max, Your removing chatter, not adding drag.

Next questions to you; What is/was your issue?
    What was your measurements before you messed with it?
    Why did you mess with it,, again?

I fear somebody kicked another sleeping dawg.

Tow out will tend to lift the stern a little and tow in will tend to squat it a tad more. Your choice depending on how the boat rides.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Un-like your car where toe-in makes a difference, Rudder toe in/out just keeps the rudders and linkage from chattering.
    On a 41, I would start around 1/4" toe in total between the front edge and aft edge. Increasing till all chatter is removed.
    3/4" max, Your removing chatter, not adding drag.

Next questions to you; What is/was your issue?
    What was your measurements before you messed with it?
    Why did you mess with it,, again?

I fear somebody kicked another sleeping dawg.
    I had to replace a rudder so I’m trying to set them back where they should be

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Tow out will tend to lift the stern a little and tow in will tend to squat it a tad more. Your choice depending on how the boat rides.
    thank you

I was cruising the web just now trying to follow up on an old question of mine; Which way is toe in?
    The aft edge of the rudders in or out from the forward edge.

The web is still confused and full of ole wives tails today as it was years ago when this question came to me.

I settled on the find zero (slave rudder loose at speed) and spread the aft edges apart 1/2" idea many years ago. More or less how the rudders were set up at the original Bertram factory.
    I'll be visiting Huckins today, if any ole pharts are still around, I'll ask them.

Youre all too late... mikepus** aint around any more. Worry more on diving plane attitude
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I was cruising the web just now trying to follow up on an old question of mine; Which way is toe in?
    The aft edge of the rudders in or out from the forward edge.

The web is still confused and full of ole wives tails today as it was years ago when this question came to me.

I settled on the find zero (slave rudder loose at speed) and spread the aft edges apart 1/2" idea many years ago. More or less how the rudders were set up at the original Bertram factory.
    I'll be visiting Huckins today, if any ole pharts are still around, I'll ask them.
    thank you