Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

31 Hatteras - Fly Bridge

So I'm looking for some honest insight here; I know Hatteras is a quality boat, even the older vintage models; but coming from a 33' 1974 Egg Harbor, I am trying to convince myself that due to the quality I would move forward on this Hatteras purchase over seeking out another Egg.

For one, I don't see hardly any other of these 31' Fly Bridge models anywhere; most are of the larger yacht or Sport Fish type; those unfortunately are a bit out of the budget. How do these old 31' Hatts ride and cruise? I know I will sea trial but does anyone have any knowledge of these?

I traveled to MI to inspect the boat; good shape and kept as to be expected by an older couple that has owned it for 20 years; some things are a little dated like the electronics on board ect....

So my struggle; it is an express style boat with a small fly bridge verse the Eggs with a salon type arrangement and a big open bridge; down below would work and of course is in nice shape; but not what a sport fisher offers; would you sacrifice a layout and style you like for the quality and performance of an older Hatteras?

Also, feel like maybe I would be spending to much $$ for a boat of this era; probably looking at $22,500 with a tender and motor; boat has ac/heat and older gen set.

Any thoughts; tough choices.......

Re: 31 Hatteras - Fly Bridge

You have a plastic Egg (FRP)??
    IMO, you are NOT gaining anything shopping for a 31 Hatt.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 04-29-2024 at 12:40 AM.

I'd rather have the Egg, of those two choices. Had a (wooden) Egg years ago, lovely boat. Not as tough as a Hatteras.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I'd rather have the Egg, of those two choices. Had a (wooden) Egg years ago, lovely boat. Not as tough as a Hatteras.
    Ah, I remember an ole wooden Egg in Jax. Chrysler (Crown?) large block gas engines.
    Forgot all about it till just now.
    That was a fine boat.
    Hard call comparing some other mfg's plastic boats, including Hatts.

Later Golden Eggs were real fine plastic boats that I may lean to, over a Hatt of same size, power and options.

My Egg had Palmers, which were IH 392s marinized by Palmer. Lots of power! Hard to get parts for. Not to take anything away from Hatteras, but the Egg had a mahogany interior that was really beautiful and very well built. And a nice ride, like a lot of wooden boats.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    My Egg had Palmers, which were IH 392s marinized by Palmer. Lots of power! Hard to get parts for. Not to take anything away from Hatteras, but the Egg had a mahogany interior that was really beautiful and very well built. And a nice ride, like a lot of wooden boats.
    Yep, I remember my Cavalier. Still the sweetest and quiet ride.
    Saw her again a few years ago. F M

So, gtacri71, What did you decide??
    Please tell us more about your Egg.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 04-30-2024 at 07:16 PM.

The plywood Cavalier rode nothing like a good lap strake boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I’ve put the purchase on hold for now; means the boat could now be sold to another prospective buyer; I do loves the Eggs, but part of me likes a lot about this older 31 Hatt; just feel like I still like I may be overpaying for what it has to offer at $22,500

Quote Originally Posted by gtacri71 View Post
    I’ve put the purchase on hold for now; means the boat could now be sold to another prospective buyer; I do loves the Eggs, but part of me likes a lot about this older 31 Hatt; just feel like I still like I may be overpaying for what it has to offer at $22,500
    I have spilled enough blood in Hatterass to have my opinions on them but I do not own one.
    Help me out;
    So, What is it, you think this 31 has to offer you, over your Egg?

The 33' egg harbor has good looks in spades over the 31 Hatteras cruiser. Get an all glass version with good decks and you'll know you made the right choice, because that's where it appears your heart is.