Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pilot house vs / Flybridge

What percentage of you drive from the bridge vs pilot. House ?

Re: Pilot house vs / Flybridge

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    What percentage of you drive from the bridge vs pilot. House ?
    In over 20 years, I have been upstairs a half dozen times to drive the boat.
    Spent more time up there cleaning and fixing things.
    I have this dream to remove all that junk up there.

Unless it s raining I pretty much always run from the FB except for docking
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

From the bridge, especially when docking, but my boat is only 36 feet.

99% from the fly bridge. I never had one with all my other boats. I’ll never go back. Love it. 😍
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I prefer running from the flybridge as often as possible. I purposely have not enclosed it so I can enjoy the sounds and breeze.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

We have aged from 90 percent flybridge to 90 percent pilot house and I miss the flybridge for all of the joyful reasons cited.

Skin cancer (because I was young and vain) has me in full length sleeves, trousers, hat, and buff whenever outside including the FB. Many of my fellow crew have even worse issues. The bimini only affords SPF 15ish protection and the reflection from the water and white fiberglass requires sun protection. So unless the boat is full of young people, we find ourselves knocking out long hours on cruise in the pilot house and salon.

An enclosed FB with a bed and head would be ideal for our current use profile. We could also benefit from a time travel machine if someone has one for the right price.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Anything above Hull speed you need to be on the bridge looking out for debris and trap floats. Although at 9 kts it’s awful nice in the salon of a MY sitting on the bench seat steering with your feet. I never use the auto pilot if I’m on the boat I want to run it otherwise you’re just a passenger
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

This goes through my head a lot. We debated leaving the bridge off during refit and instead using the area for storage, solar, sun pad. However, the days we sit up there are well worth it. I guess. Maybe.

100% from the flybridge. (Except for lightning!) 360 degree view, constantly aware of breeze, much quieter than salon.

Replacement Bimini top is white on top, light blue underneath. Greatly reduced the glare and perhaps the reflected sun exposure. Other than the low windshield all open.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932