Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: A/C Raw water pump size

Quote Originally Posted by firbanks View Post
    Also shifted my a/c seawater strainers to vertical - makes it alot easier and keeps the bilges dry.
    Depending on your strainer type (I had Groco), you can get a flushing cap on Amazon that lets you attach a washdown hose to the strainer and flush thru the system. That was how I flushed my lines weekly. I never even considered aligning the strainers horizontally. AC systems took up a lot of my maintenance time on a weekly basis but paid off in comfort when we were hitting 95+ degrees with 99% humidity... at night!
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Flushing from the strainer forward isn’t going to help much as whatever is restricting flow, usually at the coils inlet or at fittings, will just be pushed tighter against the fitting flanges. You want to back flush instead and remove the pieces from the system
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Flushing from the strainer forward isn’t going to help much as whatever is restricting flow, usually at the coils inlet or at fittings, will just be pushed tighter against the fitting flanges. You want to back flush instead and remove the pieces from the system
    That makes sense. Also explains why the hose fitting is on the discharge side of condenser. Thank you
    Slainte
    1988 - 67' CPMY
    Houston, Texas

I enclosed a few photos from the starboard replumb of the ac pumps. I like the groco strainer much better than the old. The port side still has the perko mounted horizontally, which spills seawater everywhere when cleaning. And tends to render the pump un-primed.The pump is a march te5.5c MD
    Attached Images

Next haul out just put an external strainer aka South Bay strainer and you ll Never have to clean the internal again

I ve put them on my boat and every boat I ve run. What a difference!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I would backflush if needed, just a matter of hooking my homemade hose connector to the discharge side line where I had a t-valve for this purpose. The weekly dock water flush pushed loose stuff thru, and I ran each leg for about 30-40 minutes. If I had to backflush, it was usually from the strainer to the thru-hull where something had sucked up against the hull. At least once doing this I got outside in time to grab a boathook and snag a grocery bag that came up on the bubble.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Next haul out just put an external strainer aka South Bay strainer and you ll Never have to clean the internal again

I ve put them on my boat and every boat I ve run. What a difference!
    I'm putting this in my future-boat notebook Pascal... Thanks.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL