Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interior sun shade material for inside of isenglass

Looking for ways to keep out sun out of upper helm and aft deck during hot summer months. Any ideas for temporary sun block on interior isenglass?

Re: Interior sun shade material for inside of isenglass

We had our local canvas shop make a sunshade for our flybridge. In our slip the bow faces west and on the afternoon it really got hot on the flybridge. He used Phifertex Plus material which has a 90-95 % shade factor and snapped onto our enclosure panels canvas. It is easily snapped on and off. It really makes a difference in the heat up there during the afternoon. We have some vinyl panels for the rear of the flybridge enclosure that prior owner had made. The Phifertex also comes in a standard material that has about a 70% shade factor also. Since we don’t boat with the shade on we wanted the extra shade factor. Sailrite company has the material but any canvas shop can get it and is easily installed on existing enclosure. Hope that helps.

I will try and post a picture hope it works
    Attached Images

We have a hand rail at the top of the windscreen and he just used velcro to wrap bottom of shade around it

Another pic of flybridge shade
    Attached Images

sorry did not get it rotated right

again
    Attached Images

That is first-rate work. Before we lost Pau Hana, the Admiral completely restitched our Bimini (She bought a new SailRite machine for doing her own canvas work), and a sunshade for our sundeck. I'll have to refer back to this when we return to boat life.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

These screens are on the inside which helps block the sun. However, it doesn’t protect the isenglass. Next time I’ll have the screens on the outside to protect it.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I think with glass windows I would not worry about it but with Strataglass like I have or with eisenglas I would worry about any movement of the material against the vinyl scratching it. Especially if there was salt crystals or dirt/dust on the window. That is if it were on the outside. Our sunscreen does ride on the Strataglass on the inside and is not subjected to wind movement etc. Just my opinion. Also very easy to remove when we are moving the boat.