Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Jabsco raw water pumps

A couple questions for the forum. Has anyone replaced the cover plate’s slotted style screws for studs ? Seems a better method overall having studs where a nut is easily torqued to spec and installing gasket, cover etc. any reason not to install silicon bronze studs?

Spline lubricant. I used anti seize years ago which would wash out pretty much 100% in a season. Switched to Green Grease waterproof grease which I also use for the mains W.C. cone type seacocks. This still washes out but an oily film is still present and no removal issues. Any other products to consider for raw water spline drive?

Re: Jabsco raw water pumps

I was trying to find the stuff I used to use on the Jabsco pump in my Donzi, sold by Volvo...I think this was it:
    lube.jpg

I also use the Super Lube O-ring lubricant from NAPA it works well and won't harm rubber components.

I like your idea for the studs, if there's a cover plate gasket it could make it a pain to scrape off later if you had to but if it's an O-Ring seal it should work out great.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Thanks. Good point on the scraping gaskets aspect. I use the globe impellers and I’m not sure what that company puts into their rubber cover plate gasket but you’ll never get the cover off with the gasket in one piece. I guess that’s why they keep it sealed in a plastic bag.

I assume your talking the raw pumps on your main engines. Original slotted, bronze machine screws.

When I started using hex head screws I realized why originally slotted screws.
    With a screwdriver, by hand you can only apply so much torque to the screw,, but with a wrench you can apply so much more and start damaging things.
    I still use the hex head screws but just barely snug them down.

On other mfg pumps with bolts, I still just snug them down.

When servicing customers boats and their pumps, my thoughts were reinforced. I found deformed cover plates and stripped out screw holes.

As far as grease goes, that lil glycerin pack that sometimes comes with the impeller is all that is used.
    I always worried about inducing electrolysis from never-size or rubber softening from petroleum grease.
    Always some water based lube in the truck if more is needed.
    Water based grease is used also to hold that O ring or paper gasket in place.

I switched the screws for bolts. I used a 1/4” socket set to tighten and loosen. So much easier.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I assume your talking the raw pumps on your main engines. Original slotted, bronze machine screws.

When I started using hex head screws I realized why originally slotted screws.
    With a screwdriver, by hand you can only apply so much torque to the screw,, but with a wrench you can apply so much more and start damaging things.
    I still use the hex head screws but just barely snug them down.

On other mfg pumps with bolts, I still just snug them down.

When servicing customers boats and their pumps, my thoughts were reinforced. I found deformed cover plates and stripped out screw holes.

As far as grease goes, that lil glycerin pack that sometimes comes with the impeller is all that is used.
    I always worried about inducing electrolysis from never-size or rubber softening from petroleum grease.
    Always some water based lube in the truck if more is needed.
    Water based grease is used also to hold that O ring or paper gasket in place.
    I definitely understand the difference between spec and A-hole tight. 1/4-20 bronze has a 65 inch pound spec. Globe impellers have a non metallic spline core so likely why no grease included but my understanding is the grease is to assist twisting the impeller into the cavity. The globe impellers are quite greasy out of the package, they literally drip.

How long have you been using the Globe Impellers?
    Many, many years ago I had very bad luck with them.
    My friend started using them in is NL gen-sets a couple of years ago and they work better than the real NL impellers.
    I just installed one in my lil gen-set. It looked and felt different than it did those many years ago, maybe they found a fix.

Used globe nearly as long as I’ve owned the boat and that’s 23 years. Used jabsco first few years. Only had a problem one spring on second year on impellers when they didn’t pump adequately, swapped out with new pair and problem solved. They were pretty worn for some reason. Funny enough, the jabsco impeller removal tool doesn’t work with globe impellers because the globes are so rubbery that the two arms in the puller won’t bite into hub and allow any pull. They just slip on the material. It’s pretty much pliers only for removal

I always throw out the impeller lube that sometimes comes with it and use Dawn dishwashing liquid. It works just as good and will cause suds to come out of the exhaust letting you know the impeller is circulating properly

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I always throw out the impeller lube that sometimes comes with it and use Dawn dishwashing liquid. It works just as good and will cause suds to come out of the exhaust letting you know the impeller is circulating properly
    We used liquid soap also. Then the Karens would come out of the wood-work and complain.