Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Pulled the Onan Generator // put this off toooo long

It rare that I turn off my cell phone but I did and missed the txt at 8AM that they are pulling the generator out today (a week early). Then at Noon I got this wonderful photo.

I put this job off because I could never find someone who wanted to deal with that removal, and it was too big for me alone. Out the side, cut a skylight, out the front? Spent weeks thinking and not doing. It went out the V-Birth hatch. Did NOT take off the trim and may have had a MM or two to spare. Can't believe I wasn't there, but I'm sure I would have just slowed the process down a lot. Guys did great! I'm impressed and hope the Phasor drops in just as easily.

The moral of the story is, You can over think things that just need to be done.
    Now--- quarter fenders.

For all those critical folks look at my topside. Hardtop, sanded, and re-faired the underside of the brow, better than factor prep and Awlgrip on the bridge last spring. New windows in the aft deck, wing doors patched, and 9+ coats after stripping all the varnish. The rest of the topside has been sanded and prepped for paint after the new Geni goes in.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 1.00.54 PM.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-20 at 1.01.24 PM.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-20 at 1.01.10 PM.jpg

Fall/winter Quarter Fenders and hull. Should be the easiest paint prep of them all!
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Re: Pulled the Onan Generator // put this off toooo long

Sweet!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Old Onan? MDJF? Are you going to break it up for parts?
    Might need a starter and a stop solenoid...
    Last edited by Bernd1972; 04-20-2024 at 01:54 PM.

I think it is gone all ready!

But there was a new stop solenoid on it Just so happy to see it out. Took me a while to track down the controller parts to un-hotwire that thing the other year. I will box up anything that reads on-no on it and put it up here for anyone who wants it.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Quote Originally Posted by metama View Post
    I think it is gone all ready!

But there was a new stop solenoid on it Just so happy to see it out. Took me a while to track down the controller parts to un-hotwire that thing the other year. I will box up anything that reads on-no on it and put it up here for anyone who wants it.
    I need 12gauge targets. I think of it as therapy.

When I pulled the MDJE out of my 79 43C many years ago, guys were busting down my doors looking for parts. Good luck with the new unit.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I had one of those (an MDJC) in my 47 Commander. What a nightmare, after Cummins bought Onan in the 2000's they abruptly stopped parts support on all the pre-merger gensets. Something would break and I'd spend the next 3 months posting on message boards and calling random places across the country trying to find it. Eventually I'd find the part and get it working, and a month or two later something else would break and the cycle would start over again. Out of any given year it was only working maybe 1/2 the time.

I replaced it with a Phasor 12kw and couldn't have been happier for the 4 years until I sold the boat. The Phasor never missed a beat, all I ever did to it was an oil change. The best part about Phasors is that every component on them is a common off-the-shelf part, nothing is proprietary. On the Onan everything on it was proprietary and impossible to get.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I had one of those (an MDJC) in my 47 Commander. What a nightmare, after Cummins bought Onan in the 2000's they abruptly stopped parts support on all the pre-merger gensets. Something would break and I'd spend the next 3 months posting on message boards and calling random places across the country trying to find it. Eventually I'd find the part and get it working, and a month or two later something else would break and the cycle would start over again. Out of any given year it was only working maybe 1/2 the time.

I replaced it with a Phasor 12kw and couldn't have been happier for the 4 years until I sold the boat. The Phasor never missed a beat, all I ever did to it was an oil change. The best part about Phasors is that every component on them is a common off-the-shelf part, nothing is proprietary. On the Onan everything on it was proprietary and impossible to get.
    I had the Onan on Pau Hana, and had a little trouble getting a starter solenoid (mostly because Cummins local dealership wanted me to prepay for "special order part" but when I said I was fine doing that, they warmed up quick. There's a dealer on Ebay who specializes in obscure parts, I got DD parts from them but they said they also can get Onan parts. There's a similar thread to this one that started at the same time, I posted link to them there. Rare Earth Electric on Ebay.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL