Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

windscreen wiper arms

My '71 convertible has a lower station, so it has wipers to the left and right panes of the triple windshield. 99+% of the time there is a fabric cover over the windows, to control how how it gets in there and also to keep the windows from leaking when running the boat. The other day I found that the wiper arms were corroded and one was loose on the shaft.

The wiper motors are the originals, made by American Bosch. They look like the ones available now, but since they work fine, I am loath to take them out. There are quite a few items in Sams' list under "wiper", and I have no idea which arms would be the right ones.

I decided to try modern ones to see if they will fit the shafts- I ordered Marinco 33007A arms. I should mention that the corroded ones I removed are very likely not the original arms, but I've had the boat so long I can't remember if they were changed out before I got her, or if I installed them.

I seldom drive from the lower station, but I don't like to have something on the boat that doesn't work, even if I hardly ever use them.

Any information about which arms and blades are original, if anyone knows, I'd be grateful for having it. Thank you all in advance.

Re: windscreen wiper arms

I order the arms and arm assembly from Sam's. The wipers were purchased at Advanced Auto. If memory serves there was a slight modification required to secure the wipers to the arms but they work well. However I didn't do a very good job of getting the spline thingy down far enough on the shaft. The arm jumped the splines during use and stripped the splines. Since the posts were corroded as well, I purchased all new parts. Unfortunately the original smaller shaft is no longer available so I ended up having to replace both the inside shaft assembly and the outside arm mount. Ugh, but hopefully somebody on this site might appreciate it some day.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: windscreen wiper arms

Thanks, Dave! The Marinco arms arrived today; we'll see if they fit and work. (hard to imagine I will be that lucky)